Scottish ski touring conditions / reports

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 29 Dec 2014
Anybody been out ? Where /what / when etc ?
What colour under pants should I wear ?
 Sophie G. 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mike123:

Drumochter on Boxing Day was good up high (above 2000ft), mostly useless lower than that.

From Glen Clova yesterday, Lochnagar looked like it would be ace.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what colour knickers you wear, provided they're frilly.
 gazzagabb 29 Dec 2014
In reply to mike123:

up on Cairngorm plateau on Sunday (topping out on climbs). Touring conditions were lean - you had to try and join the patches of snow
OP mike123 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

> Oh, and it doesn't matter what colour knickers you wear, provided they're frilly.
Sounds like we ve met .

Joe G 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Sophie G.:

I agree on all matters concerning altitude and underwear. I had a wee pootle about at the Lecht today. I was passing anyway so it would have been rude not to, but not worth going especially for the touring conditions. The weather is forecasted to get warmer, so stick with the frilly knickers. Merino would be too hot and sweaty.
 Sophie G. 29 Dec 2014
In reply to Joe G:
No no no no no you don't get it at all. The frills INSULATE. Like a string vest. Only prettier. And not a vest.
Post edited at 21:12
 euanw 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

I have been out in the Drummochter Pass touring today. We managed to wear skis for the majority of the day by touring into Coire Fhar via the land rover track and descending the north east ridge of Geal-charn. There is a short video on the climbnow facebook page and a report on the climbnow.co.uk blog showing the current conditions for those who are interested.
 Jonty Mills 03 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Great day today on Ben Wyvis. For those interested you can see photos on my blog shortly http://onhighhills.blogspot.co.uk
My partner on the hills today has also put together a short video too available here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/On-High-Hills/805745176138694?ref=tn_tnmn

Enjoy tomorrow for those going out!
 Cuthbert 05 Jan 2015
In reply to Jonty Mills:

Yesterday was also great on Ben Wyvis and I will get pictures up soon. Here is some info from A' Chailleach and Geal Chàrn also: http://www.ibsc.org.uk/blog/60-a-chailleach-and-geal-charn
 euanw 08 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

I have been out today in and around the Glencoe ski area on the touring skis. Lots of good snow still remains on the mountain and this looks like it is only going to improve over the next few days. There are more details on the climbnow blog and a short video on the climbnow facebook page showing conditions.
 DaveHK 08 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:
> (In reply to JMM)
>
> Yesterday was also great on Ben Wyvis

Great is pushing it given that we carried our skis to an Cabar! A nice day with 3 nice runs in the east facing corries out but not great touring.
 Tim Davies 15 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Anyone been out recently?
 mcdweeb 16 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:

A wee tootle up Ben y Vrackie above home from the Moulin moor. Good soft snow on a firm base above 600m & soft crusty crud below. Skiing from the car. Nice. Ridges quite bare but enough snow in the burns and hollows. Ground below the snow pretty unfrozen....not nice!
Not v demanding but home for lunch.
 alastairbegley 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:

Headed out today and yesterday to attempt the caingorm 4000ers, we were unsuccessful today due to the wind but the conditions were generally fantastic. We had to do a bit of walking around the summits due to scouring but otherwise we were completely on on skis. Today we got all the way from the Correau bothy, up the Lairig Ghru, through the Chalamain gap and back to the ski centre without removing them!
http://www.masterplan-mountaineering.co.uk/2015/01/attempt-ski-touring-cair...
 Cuthbert 18 Jan 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

Sounds good. Conditions are great right now and Cairn Gorm appears to have less snow than Drum Ochter and Newtonmore area. Kintail also looks superb.
 Tim Davies 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Skied up and down chno dearg today to dust off the cobwebs.
Skis on from the car door at fersit!
Almost made it back to the farm before putting skins on again.
Variable snow, rocks well covered.
 IainMacG 19 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:
Ben Lomond tour yesterday - skis on from just above 200m where the path leaves last trees and crosses a burn (and difficult to ski before then anyway) - pretty nice cover after the Friday night dump over central Scotland... to the extent that walkers were really struggling in the deep snow/breakable crust and a brisk northerly breeze... at no point did I even feel a little smug
 John Cooke 20 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Just back from Cham and it's great to hear Scotland is in condition.

I've quite a bit of time off over the next few weeks. If anyone is keen to get out drop me a shout.
 Lucy Wallace 20 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Skied from glencoe ski centre south up the West Highland Way yesterday. Pottered up the Leacann nam Braonan for some height. Bit icy up there which was exciting for a newbie (me) Great day out for a couple of novices on planks!
 Jonty Mills 21 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Just a short tour today, N Corries, Lurcher's. Photos and write up available on my blog for those interested.
http://onhighhills.blogspot.co.uk

Lucy Wallace 21 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Now put a couple of pics from our rather gentle day out on the WHW on my blog. It's not the most rock and roll of ski tours, but you can see hopefully that it was a cracking day out.

http://wildonarran.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/three-days-up-west.html
 Cuthbert 21 Jan 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

Creag Meagaidh here: http://www.ibsc.org.uk/blog
 Tim Davies 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Sgor gaoith western side needs to consolidate before becoming easier to ski. The white out didn't help.
Great skiing back to the forest at balachroick.
Rivers not fully covered yet higher up........

Cuthbert 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Tim Davies:

I think people are suffering from the Cairn Gorm magnet. Touring conditions are superb everywhere else but people seem to be heading to the usual venues which are worse than the west.

Kintail looks amazing right now.
 Nemo9 22 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:

Yeah would probably agree with Cuthbert. In Inverness today and Wyvis looks amazing as do the hills out west, although I guess you don't know what the snow is like until you actually get on the hill.

Was also on Sgor Gaoith yesterday and actually thought the snow was really good for skiing. Skinned up into Coire Ruadh but didn't go all the way to the summit as it was covered in cloud and I imagine would be quite scoured. Good run down to the burn and then skinned up Carn Ban Beag on the west side of the coire. Another good ski down towards burn then skied out through the woods . Skis on all day.

Was skiing at Creag Meg on Sunday, Glen Coe Monday and A'Chailleach on Tuesday. All were Skiable from road side. With the snow line this low I think you would be mad to go to the Gorms.
 Lucy Wallace 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Was out on Arran yesterday!
 Cuthbert 24 Jan 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

What was? There is no subject in your sentence.

Wrote a UKC post!
 euanw 03 Feb 2015
In reply to mike123:

I have been out in the Lowther Hills today. We managed two nice descents on different lines. There is a full report and photos on the climbnow.co.uk blog and facebook page.
In reply to euanw:
Was in Gorms yesterday. Snow road was closed for too long so we skinned round Morlich through the forest from the gate and up past Badaguish and down a decent forest ski descent to Glenmore. Even on alpine touring boots/skis it it was a good cross country tour. Great conditions.
Post edited at 11:03
 Cuthbert 04 Feb 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

And the amazing thing is that the Cairn Gorms are the poorest option right now but a honey pot never fails to attract. In Lochaber there are hills to be skied that are never normally an option.

Conditions are great everywhere. No more info needed!
In reply to Cuthbert:
I agree...but time and local access are factors too.

Where would you recommend for a Lochaber tour?

Then again...it's not every day you can tour Morlich and Badaguish as an XC tour on alpine touring kit either!
Post edited at 11:39
 Nemo9 04 Feb 2015
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Beinn a'Chaorainn was pretty good today. Think it's in Lochaber, just.
 euanw 09 Feb 2015
In reply to mike123:

I had a great day out yesterday in the Drummochter Pass. The snow on south easterly aspects gave excellent spring snow for skiing. There is a full report on the climbnow blog and photos and a short video on the climbnow facebook page.
 mcdweeb 10 Feb 2015
In reply to mike123:
In the 'gorms on a common circuit. Hardly saw a soul. Glorious weather.
Up Coire Cas & over the Fiacaille of CC on a narrow icy strip of snow bordered by rocks and a solid cornice, down Coire Raibert on the right hand side on good snow to the L Avon basin and up the Feithe Buidhe below Hell's Lum which was dropping ice regularily and then down a very thin Lurcher's. skis car to car with a few new scratches on the soles unfortunately but hey, welcome to Scotland!
 Jim Walton 11 Feb 2015
In reply to mike123:

We were out on Friday and Saturday in the Cairngorms.
Cairngorm - Ben Macdui - Corrour Bothy (over night) - Up Lairig Ghru to Pools of Dee and back to Car Park via Charlamain Gap.

Awesome two days. The River bed in the Lairig Ghru was total packed with snow so made the skining really easy up to the Pools of Dee (this would be a sublime ski in reverse) then a pleasant ski down the other side to 600m then a nice enough traverse round to the Charlamain Gap, this does involve a bit of heather dragging at times but we did not have to take out skis off. Enjoyable ski through the Gap and then a long ski as far as the river.

Be wary of the Terrain Traps around the pools of Dee. The snow is really banked up around the pools and if you lost an edge traversing past them it would be a most problematical rescue...
jamesshare 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim Walton:

I'm looking for somewhere and possibly someone to ski tour with this weekend.
Preferably close to the borders if possible as I'm driving up from Chester, but I'm willing to drive further if the conditions are worthy.
Even if it's a low level tour as I just want to get out.
I've done a fair amount in the French Alps but none in the UK so I'm up for some mixed experiences.

Any advice is warmly welcome.

Cheers, James
 Jim Walton 12 Feb 2015
In reply to jamesshare:

I wonder if Ben Lawers is in. I suspect it is.
Ben Lawers
 Mark Bull 12 Feb 2015
In reply to Jim Walton:

Did Meall Ghaordaidh last weekend. Cover was best on E aspects, rather patchy otherwise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...