Scottish winter/Alpine boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ross83 19 Dec 2014
I am trying to find a boot that is suitable for both Scottish winter mountaineering and summer alpine if possible for a reasonable price? I'm not sure if this is possible or am I looking for the unicorn of mountaineering boots?
I have only just started getting into winter mountaineering and would be looking for something that is suitable for grade I/II terrain but with scope to go up the grades the more experienced I get.

Any advice would be helpful
 planetmarshall 19 Dec 2014
In reply to ross83:

I wear my Phantom Ultras for both Scottish Winter and Summer Alpine - I'd guess that the Phantom Guides are just as good. The new batch of lightweight boots from Scarpa are reputed to be good but on the cold side - so fine if you move quickly. That's what you get if you have Ueli Steck design your gear, I guess.
 butteredfrog 19 Dec 2014
In reply to ross83:

Cheep and cheerful and comfy: I give you the Berghaus Kibo. Warm enough for Scotland, good enough for anything up to IV, when coupled with G12's and work just as well for alpine summer.
 Mr Trebus 19 Dec 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

I think the kibo are discontinued now. I have heard good things about the Salewa blackbird.

Al
 butteredfrog 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Mr Trebus:

That's a shame, was thinking of getting another pair for work.
 kestrelspl 19 Dec 2014
In reply to ross83:

My conclusion when faced with the same question this time last year was Sportiva Nepal Evos. I've tried the alpine part last year and they were great, not a blister in sight, and we're going to try the UK winter part in February.
 JayPee630 19 Dec 2014
In reply to ross83:

Scottish winter and summer alpine is a common cross-over use for boots so not hard to find boots that are suitable for both at all. I used to use La Sportiva Nepals but changed to Scarpa Charmoz as they're much lighter. Use them all year in the UK now when I need something more than approach or fell shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...