New pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 10 Dec 2014

My Berghaus Arete 35 is too small for rack, rope over the top, helmet, crampons, belay jacket and winter clothing. So I want something a bigger 45-50 litres-ish.

I want a floating lid so rope can be shoved under it and still get stuff in the top, take my axes, take a beating so I'd rather it was a bit heavier and last years of abuse than super light and need replacing in two years time.

I live in Plymouth so it's hard to find a good range of alpine style bags so am going to risk the interweb. I like the look of the Millet pouterey integrale 45 + 10 and mountain hardware direttissima packs. My instructor a couple years back had the millet one and said it had lasted well. Other one was the new Alpine attack 45-55, but the new one doesn't seem on sale yet.

Does anyone have experience with any? Or other suggestions?
Post edited at 15:03
 BStar 10 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

How tall are you? Rock and Run have the Mountain Attack 45:55L, cracking sack and for £49 it's a bargain. They only have the XL version though (two versions exist, normal and XL, XL is for taller people I believe). I've got the normal 45:55L sack and it has never let me down. Fits everything in for summer and winter. Bottom entry, side entry feature too, it's great when you don't have to empty everything out to get something that you packed first.

http://www.rockrun.com/deals/rucksacks/lowe-alpine-mountain-attack-45-55-xl...
In reply to fire_munki:
> Or other suggestions?

If your priority is durability, the following three brands all spring to mind straight away: Aiguille, Blue Ice and Macpac.

Also worth considering are perhaps Deuter and POD (although their older Black Ice rather than their newer stuff).
OP fire_munki 10 Dec 2014
In reply to BStar:

I'm only 5'7 so XL might not be wise! I think Glenmore lent me a Aiguille since the instructor said 35litres was too small. Blue Ice looks neat too, cheers!
In reply to fire_munki:

I used and abused a Blue Ice pack for 3 years, all seasons, and just replaced it. A buckle broke, but it would be reparable. I mainly replaced for better ski carry, but I think the Blue Ice packs available now have better ski carry than my one did.
In reply to fire_munki:

The Haglofs Matrix 40 could be a good bet. I reviewed the old one at the following link, though the new one is different.

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/gear-review-haglofs-matrix-40/
 More-On 10 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

Blue Ice Warthog 38l. Good and light with no unnecessary features, but very durable. Plenty big enough for winter and compresses down nicely for the route/summer multi-pitch etc. No frame, but one of the most comfortable packs I've ever owned. Also not the longest back length out there so should fit you reasonably well.
OP fire_munki 10 Dec 2014
In reply to More-On:
This sounds silly but is how on earth do they measure volume?
My 35litre was just too tight. Is 3 litres really that bigger difference? I guess with a floating lid the rope storing takes up less space now.
Found the yeti 45 for £130, and my local wall deal with beyond hope so I'm gonna see what deals they can do. Just a shame I can't see them in the flesh to see about filling them to the brim. Blue Ice's durability have got good reviews which is a big plus for me.
Post edited at 16:04
 More-On 10 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

Not sure how Blue Ice measure the volume, but the pack measures something like 60cm by 30cm IIRC. I can happily get full winter kit in it with space to spare, the rope then fits under the lid and the helmet goes in the mesh holder on the lid. That kit includes everything you mention and lots of clothes, extra gloves etc so isn't that lightweight - as my user name may suggest!
 Marc Langley 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Kai:

Hi Fire Munki,

I am a huge fan of Blue Ice Packs, They are bomb proof subtly clever. They have floating lids with built in helmet holder. I personally use the Blue Ice Warthog for one day winter accents. Can easy pack everything I need. I also have a couple of there larger packs for longer trips.

Not once have they let me down and I have put mine through hell. Check out the link to there site. Needle sports sell them also,

Hope this helps buddy,

http://www.blueice.com/en/home/
In reply to fire_munki:

You've had a couple of suggestions which are pretty useful and I wouldn't argue against them - climber recommendations are usually genuine and based on experience.

But if you're struggling to choose, I'd strongly advise a look at the montane torque. I got one from Blacks on special offer before the summer and it's been great.

Plus, if you're buying for yourself, wait till after Xmas; if for a present then you're stuck with current prices.

Martin
matejn 10 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

1+ for Alpine attack!
needvert 11 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:
Cilogear and hyperlite mountain gear make some fantastic packs. Cilogear worksack 45L might be worth a look, they have some choice in material. Haven't had the HMG for long enough to see how long it'll last, cuben doesn't have the best durability reputation.
Post edited at 02:54
 Graham 11 Dec 2014
In reply to needvert:
Cilogear is shit. I've never had a pack fall apart so quickly, with so little use. And not just one - I've had 2 personally fall apart on me, and have had multiple friends with the same problem.
I have a Montane torque (as one of my many many packs) - it's a nice pack, well built but not perfect. I prefer BD's speed range in that same size range. Cold Cold World, however has probably the best made and designed packs. Check them out.
Post edited at 07:29
needvert 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Graham:

What year?

I've heard they've had some notable QC problems in the past. I've got a 2013 30L work sack that has been pretty flawless as far as workmanship goes, maybe I got lucky on who was sewing it. (The customer service I got was disappointing, emails to a black hole it seemed and pack arriving quite late).

Disappointing to hear of your experience as I really like the designs, had been considering a 45L work sack for myself.
OP fire_munki 11 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

Going for the yeti 45 I reckon. Got a good price for one from my local shop. Decided I'd rather have bit bigger than my current pack or it's not really worth the new one. Cheers for the advice.
 Graham 11 Dec 2014
In reply to needvert:

This was back in the relatively early days of Cilogear - 2010 ? was the latest pack I had. The 60L worksack I had first I actually watched Graham (not me, the guy that owns Cilogear - who is a really nice guy) sew part of it. And that fell apart pretty quick. Graham sent me a 45L worksack free, to replace it. But honestly, even when my 45 worksack was brand new it was full of compromises. They're way over-hyped. He offered me another replacement pack for free but I declined the offer. Comfortable, carry well, climb well but poorly built and too fiddly with the straps. Cold Cold World is so much better - just as comfortable, climbs better, much better built and lighter and more durable. Plus randy is very easy to work with.
 berna 12 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

you can score a BD speed 40 old model quite cheap right now. I have that one in red and cannot fault it. I like it so much I thought about shelling out for the new model but was not sold on it so kept the old one instead
 Stevie989 12 Dec 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

I have a north face cinder 55 ands it's bombproof.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...