Ski Conditions in Avoriaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 30 Nov 2014
Heading there over Christmas and I'm beginning to get twitchy... can some local reassure us a that it's all going to come good by the 22nd?
 girlymonkey 30 Nov 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

I'm not local, but when I did a season there the first snows arrived around mid Dec, and it turned out to be the snowiest winter for about 50 years. So don't despair yet!
 wkrzys 30 Nov 2014

Currently all the fresh snow has retreated and left hard pack high up but a fairly good base. Christmas time last year (which was a bad snow year anyway) the conditions were great even though it came very late and so there is yet a long time to go before you can really tell what's coming. I think you'll be fine

PS. I live about 30kms from morgin/port du soleil... So fairly local...
 beckycoles 11 Dec 2014

I've just discovered the Salomon (free) app. Great for snow reports and you can favourite resorts so avalanche forecasts, webcams etc are all in one place. Really useful.
 earlsdonwhu 11 Dec 2014

> Heading there over Christmas and I'm beginning to get twitchy...

Me too!

Ready with walking boots?

Simon4 11 Dec 2014

Just to make you feel better, I cancelled an ice-climbing trip to the Ecrins today.
 wkrzys 12 Dec 2014

its cold, and more snow is falling nightly in the region (although very little and patchy) so i still think you'll be alright...
 Nick Russell 14 Dec 2014

> Heading there over Christmas and I'm beginning to get twitchy

In the same position here, going to Chatel 20-27th. Lifts still closed, not much snow on the forecast, not cold enough to make snow (as far as I can tell). Anybody got any good suggestions for alternatives to skiing?
 Gael Force 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

A few runs have been open at Avoriaz, I'm going out after New Year and glad I'm not going any earlier...
 andy 14 Dec 2014
Assume you're keeping an eye on Chatelweb? They do a daily snow report - it's looking a bit better, and there could be some slightly more significant snow later this week.
 Nick Russell 14 Dec 2014
In reply to andy:
> Assume you're keeping an eye on Chatelweb?

Actually no, but thanks for the pointer.
aligibb 14 Dec 2014

HI Nick and Rob, well I live in Chatel and went skiing in Avoriaz yesterday so can shed some light...

Theres three 'proper' runs open in Avo with good snow coverage on 2 of them - I was actually v pleasantly surprised! The 3rd one which goes down to Linderets has quite a few little stones in it. The main chairlift going up to les haut Forts has good coverage beneath it on the Stade and the pistes are so wide that theres plenty of space for most of the way down and then a bit of a bottle neck just before the village where they all come together. However there was a pretty massive queue for the chairlift yesterday but it was the first proper day open, Shaun White was doing a ski demo and there was a concert on so we reckon it'll be much quieter from tomo.

In Chatel word on the street was that they were going to open on Tuesday but I think that may have changed now. From the mid station up there is good coverage. To be honest as much as it sucks for the people here now the longer they delay the opening the better for you guys as it means the snow will get churned up a lot less which means less cailloux/stones mixed into it.

If you've got your own transport theres a good Christmas market in Montreux and the newly reopened Olympic Museum in Lausanne is supposed to be really good now. And Chatel has a good swimming pool complex so bring your togs! Theres also the Nestle chocolate factory...

let me know if you want any more info!

Ali
aligibb 15 Dec 2014
In reply to aligibb:

Avoriaz update - Fornet bowl has also been opened which is another area and will ease pressure on the lift queues, good news!
aligibb 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

I know!!! Enjoy.
 Nick Russell 15 Dec 2014
In reply to aligibb:

Thanks for the useful info, have a good season!
 Doug 15 Dec 2014

There was a short report from Avoriaz on French TV news last night, linked to the visit by Shaun White. Didn't look to bad although no doubt carefully edited footage.
aligibb 18 Dec 2014

portes du Soleil update.

About 25cm of snow fell yesterday and we had a powder run to get home, but unfortunately we have had rain today which has made it all a bit sticky. Everything is still white though and coverage is better. On Saturday Chatel is opening the Pre le Joux area above Plaine Dranse and also a bit of the Super Chatel area and coverage is good up there. will try and post a photo on Saturday.

The problem with the Porte de Soleil is that it is not very high, so in mild conditions you are caught between the tower blocks of Avoriaz (the highest resort) or the slush and mud to get down to the base resorts like Morzine. Wouldn't a higher resort (such as Argentiere) be a much better bet at this time of year?
aligibb 19 Dec 2014
In reply to John Stainforth:

Well nothing has been open in Argentiere all week, so right now no. The problem with the Chamonix valley is that it needs ALOT of snow to be able to open as it is on very rocky terrain. And this year we just haven't had the precipitation as well as milder temperatures. Theres been people driving over from Cham this week as Avoriaz has been the only skiing open in the Haute Savoie apparently. It will probably make some some very busy pistes next week here!
 andy 19 Dec 2014
Not sure if you're looking at Snowheads, Rob, but there's a right kerfuffle going on re Avoriaz lift passes - apparently they're limiting sales of them to stop people from all piling into Avoriaz (where there is some skiing). If you've already bought online or (I think) staying there then I think you're ok, but there's people booked to stay in Les Gets who can't buy a lift pass to access what skiing there is.

It also looks like there's a proper warm spell on the way for a few days next week:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_646_ens.png
 earlsdonwhu 19 Dec 2014

Oh bollox!

May have to just go for some walks!
 Gael Force 20 Dec 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Skiing in the PDS at Christmas is pretty awful due to overcrowding anyway, but at the moment the links between resorts are all shut, it's not really worth going until these are open.
I go out for the season, but have delayed my departure until there is significant snowfall
 earlsdonwhu 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Gael Force:

Skiing in avoriaz today. Not great but certainly not worst conditions experienced at Christmas. Queues not horrendous. Considering I was expecting walking holiday I am relieved to be getting any mileage. Mountains and sun so not a bad way to spend a day.
 andy 23 Dec 2014
In reply to earlsdonwhu:
It sounds like they did the right thing in limiting lift pass availability, although you'd be mega cheesed off if you'd booked Les Gets and weren't able to buy a lift pass!

Glad you're getting something in anyway.

manumartin 23 Dec 2014

My local crag was busy in the sun on Saturday (alt 800mts). Still very warm here yesterday and today just 15 miles from Avoriaz. I cycled Joux Plane from Samoens for the third time this month and Sunday was certainly not the coldest. Thermometer showing 13 degrees on top (1700 mts) and just 4 degrees in Samoens. Nice chilly ride back home to Onnion. I suppose they will get the snow cannons going once the next cold snap starts to kick in. Sorry not to be reassuring but that's just the way it is.
 andy 24 Dec 2014
In reply to manumartin: It's going to get very cold tomorrow, then it's looking like a big storm comes across Sunday/Monday - still uncertain where it'll go exactly, but some areas are going to get proper dumped on (ironically it'll probably cause chaos on transfer day for all the new year people heading out!).

manumartin 24 Dec 2014
In reply to andy:

Yes, this storm has been on/off for the past few days but looking a lot more certain now. ...but don't take my word for it! I see it arriving Sat pm and lasting until Sun eve. I'm sure the resorts will be happy with some transport chaos if it means the lifts can at last start running. I reckon we'll get around 50 cm where I live at 850mts altitude so more higher up. There are also winds in excess of 100kmh above 1000mts forecast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...