Guided skiing before xmas worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petellis 27 Nov 2014
Not too familiar with early season skiing in the Alps. Anyone know if there is likely to be enough snow in Dec to make use of a weeks guided skiing or is it better to save the money for when conditions will be better next year?

Also can anyone reccomend a guide that could help me brush up my skiing and teach me about avalanche?

Got a week of holiday to burn before christmas hence the early season question.

Cheers
Pete
 ClimberEd 27 Nov 2014
In reply to petellis:

By all means go skiing, and you could get lucky and have some epic early season snow. - but the base won't have built up yet restricting route choice so I would save your pennies regarding getting a guide. If you are in a resort and conditions are good you can always pick one up for a day without too much bother.
 nightclimber 27 Nov 2014
In reply to petellis:

I get a week's skiing in every year before Xmas at Kitzbuhel. Pretty reliable decent snow, on and off piste. If you're after a guide, the Rote Teufel can provide good locals as well as expat Brits - if you contact the main office and explain what you're after they should be able to sort you out. Downside: it's not the cheapest option.
OP petellis 28 Nov 2014
In reply to nightclimber:

Hmmm, two conflicting replies there, I am sure there is snow about if you know when to look but I guess it depends on lifts being open as well...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...