Reccomend me a classic Bothy Circuit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 21 Nov 2014

I'm off to Scotland for a few days, and want to do a classic overnight bothy circuit.
Hopefully it would include 10-15miles a day, over interesting high ground and summits, some superb views as I'll probably be lugging a big camera with me, and a pleasant bothy.

Any area is fine, although the far north is less likely.

Any reccomendations? feel free to pm me if you want to keep things quiet.
Post edited at 00:49
 d_b 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Suileag Bothy has one of the best views I think. I'm sure you could build a suitable day around Canisp and Suilven.

This was the view from the door last time I stayed there:

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2011/ullapool_may_2011/ullapool_m...
 Mike-W-99 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

We had a great weekend last year based in Coire Fionnaraich bothy.
Its really handy for the train too if you are prepared to do the walk from strathcarron station. That then lets you do a good circuit finishing at Achnashellach station.
 elsewhere 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:
http://binged.it/1F96GNW

We did Courour station to Roybridge station via most of the munros on either side of the bothy & Liarig Leacach.

Long, long time ago so no idea what the bothy is like now.
 Ramblin dave 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

You can't heave a half brick in the Cairngorms without hitting a nice bothy circuit - the Carn Toul - Braeriach traverse done over two relatively leisurely days is fairly classic, or there are a couple of good routes in to the Hutchie hut from either side. And I'm heading off in a week or so for a walk from Blair Atholl to Aviemore (or possibly Kincraig) via Glen Tarf and Glen Feshie, although I can't vouch for how classic that is as I haven't done it yet!

On the other side of the country, Meanach Bothy between Fort William and Corrour is conveniently about equidistant between Corrour to the East, Kinlochleven to the South(ish), Glen Nevis to the West and Spean Bridge to the North - since they mostly connect up easily by public transport, that has potential for some nice routes, too - we were there on a weekend when there was too much deep powder snow on the peaks to make much progress high up, so we came in from Glen Nevis via a bit of faffing near Binnean Beag and then escaped over Druim nan Sac and the Lairig Leacach to Spean Bridge.
OP Dan Arkle 21 Nov 2014
Some great ideas there guys, thanks all

In reply to Dan Arkle:
4 classics spring to mind.

Caingorms. Aviemore/Glenmore In to Corrour. Over to Hutchinson. Down to Faindouran. Out to Glenmore/Tomlintoul. Or in from south to Tarf Hotel then to Corrour. Pretty big days but doable. Over tops or through valleys if weather crap. there are other bothies in the area too.

Ben Alder area. In from Dalwhinnie. Eithier Culra or Ben Alder Lodge. Then all the way over to Fort William or Kinlockleven or Spean Bridge. Bothies at Meanach, Liarig Leacach and another in area. Long distances but used to be a bunkhouse at the rail way stop at Corrour (not to be confused with the bothy! )

Knoydart also good. Private bothy above Glenfinnan, then over to Glen Pean or the one to the north Achuill or simular name. Over to head of loch Nevis, bothy there too. Then out to Inverie, hostel? (boat out) or to Barrisdale, another private bothy then back to Inverie, or the head of Loch Horn (try hitching out on the longest no-through road in Britain?!) or walk.

Theres another classic through from Loch Clunie, near the Clunie Inn. via head of Glen Affric. 3 bothys. One to west of YHA (YHA locked). Bothy called? then big day to another in the middle of nowhere, potential river crossing issues ( i have details on best places to cross the 'rivers'), out to Bearnais bothy to south of Glen Carron.

Cheers Gareth

Removed User 21 Nov 2014
In reply to greatshearwater:
Faindouran Is out of use because of a collapsed chimney.
I reckon the other bothy west of Affric is Camban.
 steelbru 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Culra is now closed due to exposed asbestos
Removed User 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Check out the MBA website as some bothies are unavailable at certain times of the year.

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/
drmarten 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:
Oban for one, that put that suggestion out the window.
Could I also put in a recommendation for the MBA book that is featured on the title page of your link?
I've just finished it, it was a good read and I learned quite a bit about the history of bothies and the MBA.

Post edited at 11:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...