Which crampon for Scarpa Maestrale?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Palmer 16 Nov 2014
I've been trying to find a crampon for my scarpa maestrale ski touring boots. A few obvious ones exist - Grivel's Haute Route, but I don't think that will be suitable for steep snow/mixed/ice stuff that I want to use the boots for. I'm interested in the Camp XLC NANOTECH AUTOMATIC but don't know if they will fit. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
 Paul Atkinson 16 Nov 2014
In reply to Halo Le Fish:

I use these with mine, bought them as the best fit I could find as my Grivels were a complete mismatch. Very happy with them for general ski mountaineering including easy/moderate mixed

http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/camp-xlc-390-crampons-001/?affsrc=henkatenk&g...

P
OP Al Palmer 16 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Thanks for that. Have you found the aluminium robust enough on mixed ground?
 Paul Atkinson 16 Nov 2014

thus far yes for hut to hut with detours up gullies and ridges to bag peaks but I wouldn't be deliberately thrashing them. They are certainly more robust than their alu Grivel predecessors
 NottsRich 16 Nov 2014
My BD Cyborg Pros fit quite well to the RS model.

xoran 16 Nov 2014

I've got a pair of camp XLC 390s (As far as I can tell, they're the same shape as the ones you're looking at) and they fit my size 29 maestrales really well. The strap is at its longest, but it's not too much of a fiddle. I've not used them in anger though, and would certainly be wary of using them on ice and mixed. Can't comment on how the steel points on the others might be more sturdy.
The camp shape seems to fit these boots well, my other crampons are a pair of cheap Camp steel jobbies and they were a good fit for ice climbing the one time I tried it.
Hope some of that is useful.
 chris687 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Al Palmer:

I have petal sarkens which twist off the boot when stood only on one point. Just so you can rule them out.
In reply to Al Palmer:

If you go for semi-autos you'll have a much easier time finding something that fits right. My Grivel G12s (semi auto) fit fine on the RS.
moffatross 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

+1 for G12 Crampomatics. They fit like they're made for the RS and I can't see that the orange standard Maestrale would be different as it's exactly the same shell as the RS, just a different material. They feel super secure to me, like they're really locked to your boots when kicking steps up gulleys, but being all steel, I guess they wouldn't be a 'weight weenie' favourite.
 blurty 17 Nov 2014
In reply to moffatross:

I've got some Haute Route's for easy stuff. Not much front points showing with Orange Maestrales though; fine for Neve, wouldn't like to do much on ice.

For harder climbs I always use G12s
 Paul Atkinson 17 Nov 2014
In reply to wout:

I couldn't get G14 to fit my Maestrales (not RS) properly because of the heel shape and walk mechanism hence my buying the Camps. The frame and bales will fit but the back bar won't snap shut to 90 degrees or forward and hold itself in place without using the strap to pull it to keep it forward (as appears to be happening in your last photo AFAICT). That, by my understanding, is not how a crampon binding should fit..... but perhaps others will disagree

P
 wout 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
true paul had the same I wanted to say:
G12 and G14 both on pic. G12 fits well.
hehe btw pics are from last year grt. w
OP Al Palmer 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Al Palmer:

Thanks for all your comments and advice... as is usual looks like i'll need 3 pairs for all eventualities! G12s look good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...