High-vis running jacket suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 09 Nov 2014
I'm probably looking for a product that doesn't exist but any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm looking for a lightweight running jacket; preferably cheap, fluorescent/reflective, breathable, shower-proof, will survive being dragged through a bramble patch and long enough for a 6'8" bloke with arms like a gibbon. I realise this is a fairly optimistic wishlist!

Currently I'm wearing a Rab Boreas pull-on when it is chilly or windy but it is pretty stealthy so not ideal for running at night, I've gone through my local shops and come to the conclusion that lots of running stuff is a little short in the arm with Ron Hill jackets barely covering my elbows!

The Rab Cirrus is looking like an option although not as bright as I would like but it looks really delicate, are they tougher than they look?
 TobyA 09 Nov 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Possibly the best bet is a high viz vest with lots of stripes of Scotchlite on it and with a mesh back at least - then stick it over whatever else you can find that fits. I've got a couple of like that that cost very little.
OP Reach>Talent 09 Nov 2014
In reply to TobyA:

I've got that one filed as "Plan B" already, the main issue is I run really hot and find myself taking layers off and putting them on again (the Boreas spends as much time as a belt as it does as a jacket) so adding any extra layers on top of the windproof is likely to annoy me a bit
Dorq 09 Nov 2014

I think the Salomon 'Fast Wing' stuff is great, though they don't have anything fluorescent this year, just a few bits of reflective on the blues and reds they are doing*. Some on sale at the mo. The latest fabric is more water-resistant - it is definitely less breathable - and seems pretty tough. The sizes are european, so an L in patagucci is an XL in Salomon. They have thumb-loops, which means they are a bit longer than normal sleeves, and so should fit better than jackets without. Longest arms I've ever seen on tops are Patagonia but the Houdini is expensive and might not be that tough as it is super light fabric.

*You could buy a metre of 3M reflective and get someone to sew pieces on the jacket. The genuine tape is washable and very bright at night.
 deepsoup 09 Nov 2014

Are you anywhere near a Decathlon? No idea if they'll suit your ape-index, but some of the Kalenji hi-vis stuff they're selling this year looks rather good.
 Banned User 77 10 Nov 2014
I love my montane one.. there's plenty like it.

http://www.camouflage-store.com/brands/montane/montane-featherlite-smock-fl...

Light weight gear is less resistant to damage.. that's a given.
Post edited at 02:32
 tony 10 Nov 2014

You could do worse than try your local TK Maxx. I picked a nice Asics jacket a while ago which serves perfectly well. You'll struggle to get everything on your wishlist - nothing I've tried is particularly breathable once you start running (in the sense that you'll still get wet on the inside), and if you go light, you won't get bramble-proof.

The suggestion to get some reflective tape is very sensible - it's very effective stuff.
 steelbru 10 Nov 2014

Are you running on unlit roads, is that why you want hi-viz ? If so, then most jackets have some sort of reflective stuff on them, and I use a headtorch which has a rear red light ( flashing or solid, you can choose ) as well as the front white light. I feel a lot safer with a flashing rear red light than any amount of reflective tape. Alpkit Gamma torch, there are others similar I think.
 Carolyn 10 Nov 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I think I'm stalking your suggestions today - I was also going to suggest Montane, as they're one of the few brands that do long enough arms in women's kit, so I figured they might in bloke's, too.

And they tend to stick some reflective bits on!
 Ava Adore 10 Nov 2014
In reply to Carolyn:

I do love my Montane but the reflective bits are useless. They're just a couple of small spots - no way are you visible enough with just these in the dark.

For the OP, I wear a fully mesh reflective bib over my black Montane and I don't notice any additional "warmth". And it was dirt cheap - less than a tenner from Amazon. The only annoyance is that it tends to twist round so I fasten it to my jacket/top with a safety pin at the front to save it moving.
 More-On 10 Nov 2014

I'd stick with your current top and get some reflective slap straps for your ankles.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rbs-slap-strap-p156232#tabs
I use them for both running and cycling and friends who've spotted me from their cars have commented on how effective they are in comparison to the tape on my tops. They are also a lot cheaper than a new top...
 mbh 10 Nov 2014
In reply to steelbru:

You can also get little red LED lights that clip into the head band of whatever torch you already have. £5 or so from Wiggle etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...