Corrour to Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Percy2012 12 Oct 2014
Hello - I'm planning in getting the sleeper up to Corrour at the end of November and walking (one way or another) through to Fort William, with a wild camp in the middle (hopefully with some Munro's in the middle).

Has anybody done this before? Distance wise is it an 'easy' two day trip? Any suggestions on places to see?

Thanks very much
drmarten 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

I wouldn't camp in winter because my tent is tiny and it's a long night in a tent on your tod - only my personal take on it. I'd use one of the bothies en route to Glen Nevis. Distance wise it's nothing to write home about, but conditions at the time could make it a poor choice.
Good weather and conditions could make it a walk in the park, high winds and snow etc means you're up against it...
 Cuthbert 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

I have done this many times in both directions and most times in one day. Most recently with my Dad who is 70+.

Expect major bog action particularly west of Tom an Èite.
 Dauphin 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

Shorts days. Some Munros? If you're quick and prepared for all conditions you may get in a couple. As previously stated you could do it in a day in July.

D
 Dr.S at work 12 Oct 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

Lots of possible routes - if the weather is good then grey carries with a high camp followed by aonach beag and across to the Ben via the CMD arête.

If poor weather can drop down to meanach bothy, and then down glen Nevis.

Great area for that sort of thing
Percy2012 12 Oct 2014

In reply to Percy2012:

Thanks for the tips and advice all! DR S, I like the idea of a high camp, have had the map out this evening, just need to pluck up the courage to do it now.
In reply to Percy2012:

I've done it over 2.5 days in November including all the summits of the Grey Corries, Aonachs, CMD and Ben Nevis. That wasn't a particularly fast pace, a determined walker could do it all in 2 days. And a runner could do it in a single day, though prob not all in daylight at that end of the year.

As I recall, we bothied in the Lairig Leacach at the end of our first half day from the train. Then camped on the Grey Corries/Aonachs col on the second night.

There's loads of scope for variations: the glen route perhaps, plus one or two of the Mamores in passing.
 gav 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Percy2012:

I've done the low-level valley version, staying at Meanach bothy ( http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=48 ) in winter, which was straightforward. If my knees hadn't been broken, we'd have taken in some peaks along the way; they looked very inviting covered in snow from the valley. We hitched from Polldubh to save the walk out Glen Nevis.

If wanting to take in peaks then Staoineag bothy is less useful ( http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=49 ), but here's the one Dan mentioned: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=45
 Flinticus 13 Oct 2014
I've walked from the car park at the end of Glen Nevis to Staoineag bothy in November once, crossing the Abhainn Rath by the wooden bridge where it enters Loch Treig and doubling back on the far bank to the bothy (if I'd had a tent I would have camped by the ruined lodge next to the bridge). I started sometime around mid-day and the last hour and a half was in full dark using a head torch. It would be roughly another 6 miles from the bridge if I had continued on to Corrour (but part of my goal was to stay at the bothy) but via a good path easily walked with a head torch (or without if bright moonlight).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...