The Ridge - Danny Mac' rides the Cuillin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJ2606 02 Oct 2014
Just seen the latest Danny Macaskill film. Wow! Check it out
http://dirtmountainbike.com/videos/danny-macaskill-ridge.html
 soularch 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Absolutely superb! Great advert for Skye.
 RedFive 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Holy cow pats, he climbs up the east ridge of Inn Pin with the bike on his back. Respect.

Thanks for the video link, also see the other post re it showing on bbc Scotland on Friday 10th.

jezb1 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Quality as always, the last bit where he flips the fence is pretty trick!
In reply to DefenderKen:

He also does Collie's Ledge on Sgurr Mhic Coinnich (though the film puts it a bit out of sequence), and the jump across An Dorus. Amazing.
 Robert Durran 02 Oct 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

> Holy cow pats, he climbs up the east ridge of Inn Pin with the bike on his back. Respect.

Isn't that cheating?
 Skyhook 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Tremendous!

I'm no expert on this but isn't the camera work superb too?

Using a drone?
 Tom Last 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Love the touch of the colour of the rims matching the heather. Solo on the Inn Pinn with a bike, perhaps he should take up climbing too! Brilliant.
In reply to Skyhook:

This is a great demonstration of what can be achieved with remarkably low cost, hi-tech cameras (GoPro) and aerial photography (drones).
 Carless 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

That is just excellent
Clauso 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Totally irresponsible, if you ask me. That isn't a designated bridleway and he ought to be thoroughly ashamed of himself.
In reply to LJ2606:
Beautifully filmed, but really just a collection of random snippets from all over the Cuillin in no particular order. I wonder whether he actually traversed the whole ridge with his bike and, if so, how much of it he actually biked.

The Innaccesible Pinnacle carrying the bike looked pretty sensible to me, but biking Collie's ledge looked insane - but then I'm only a climber.....
Post edited at 17:08
 deepsoup 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Amazing.

Bit of a sad ending though, when he gets back to the beach and discovers he forgot to tie up his boat.
Jim C 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:
There was a guy who did the Anoach Eagach a while back as I recall( but I think it started as a joke by his mates)

I think it is on You Tube
 Steve Perry 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

I thought to myself - if he rides that bike down the In-Pinn it will be the most impressive thing I've ever seen.
Fantastic filming.
In reply to deepsoup:

> Bit of a sad ending though, when he gets back to the beach and discovers he forgot to tie up his boat.

No, he just went back to the wrong beach (Glen Brittle when he arived in Loch Scavaig).

Ron Walker 02 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Yeh, absolutely great video but seriously, don't believe everything you see "like he just rowed over and then cycled along the ridge and up the In Pinn" on a marketing video... Seriously get real!!!
In reply to Ron Walker:

It was obviously shot over a number of days.
 Bob 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I've seen somewhere that it was shot over 10 days which is amazing in itself - getting 10 days of good weather on Skye.

Obviously there are a few discontinuity errors if you know the area but it doesn't detract from the skills involved or the thread of the story. I haven't seen any outtakes yet but there's a photo here - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/danny-macaskill-rides-the-cuillin-r... - of his first attempt at the fence flip. I hope that the ride along Collies Ledge was one take
 Trevers 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:
> Totally irresponsible, if you ask me. That isn't a designated bridleway and he ought to be thoroughly ashamed of himself.

Think of the cost to the taxpayer!
Post edited at 08:24
 mav 03 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

My biggest dilemma is whether to let the kids watch it. I mean, they'd love it, but the seven year old may try and copy him.
 Doghouse 03 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Great little film, really enjoyed that
 Andy Moles 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> the jump across An Dorus

Don't think so? I don't think they filmed anything between the Inn Pinn and Bruach na Frithe. If you mean the gap jump at 4:53, that's somewhere on Mhic Choinnich.

While we're geeking up on rock recognition and continuity errors, if you look closely you can spot the rope on the Inn Pinn - he's leading it.
Post edited at 08:51
 kathrync 03 Oct 2014
In reply to LJ2606:

Very nice - the cycle along Collie's Ledge made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I remember clearly pressing myself against the wall and trying very hard not to look down when I walked it, I can't imagine cycling it!

I am wondering if/how he did the TD gap though?
 Chris the Tall 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Clauso:

Ha-hah, different access laws in Scotland so there are no bridle ways. Bet you feel like an idiot now don't you ?
 SimonCRMC 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Andy Moles:

A friend sent me a link to some of the back story to this film. It explains a few of the questions on this thread.
http://www.cutmedia.com/the-ridge-and-breathe/
 Robert Durran 03 Oct 2014
In reply to SimonCRMC:

> A friend sent me a link to some of the back story to this film. It explains a few of the questions on this thread.

So it sounds like there was no attempt to actually bike the whole ridge (carrying when not possible to ride). Maybe just a little misleading? It would be interesting to know how much could be done.
 Hat Dude 03 Oct 2014
In reply to jezb1:

> the last bit where he flips the fence is pretty trick!

I've done the first half of that unintentionally before now ;-(
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Don't think so? I don't think they filmed anything between the Inn Pinn and Bruach na Frithe. If you mean the gap jump at 4:53, that's somewhere on Mhic Choinnich.

I don't remember any jump like that on Sgurr Mhic Coinnich. Mind you, it's 20 years since I was there. Actually, the jump I thought it was is on An Caisteal (not An Dorus) - that would be quite accessible for a separate shoot.

Clauso 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Ha-hah, different access laws in Scotland so there are no bridle ways. Bet you feel like an idiot now don't you ?

Oh, was that set in Scotland? I assumed that it was filmed somewhere in the Peaks.... Yes, you're right; I feel somewhat silly now. But my point still stands and I'll defend it to the death!
 Ramblin dave 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Maybe just a little misleading?

Bit of a grey area, I think. I'd guess that most fans of this sort of thing know that the videos are a bunch of bits and pieces spliced together to create a narrative and don't actually document a single day's ride any more than (eg) Slash playing guitar on top of a cliff in a Guns N Roses video documents a live performance of the tune. On the other hand, I can imagine that a lot of people are going to see it and say "OMG he rides the whole Cuillin on a bike" and they don't go out of their way to dispel that idea.

On the whole, I liked it for the scenery but thought the concept maybe set up higher expectations than it delivered on - I still prefer Long Way Home and Inspired Bicycles.
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Ha-hah, different access laws in Scotland so there are no bridle ways. Bet you feel like an idiot now don't you ?

To be fair to the owl botherer, he said it isn't a bridleway, I think we have established that to be factually correct.
 mav 03 Oct 2014
In reply to SimonCRMC:

Thanks for the link. Interesting read.
 TomBaker 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Ron Walker:

Unless you're completely brain dead that's pretty obvious from the first part of the shoot in the boat, where there are camera shots from both sides of him whilst he rows and a drone shot with the boat empty...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...