Wooden technical axes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Unfortunately I have no pictures of such things for you, but I wondered if they were possible?

Grivel make a wooden walking axe:

http://www.moontrail.com/details/grivel/monte-bianco/mnt-bianco-lrg.jpg

And The Alpkit FigFours are made of Ply!:
https://www.alpkit.com/products/figfour

So why not a wooden technical axe?
 d_b 01 Oct 2014
In reply to AndrewJamesCherry:

Wooden shafts can be light and have nice thermal properties, but can display a nasty tendancy to break if you overload them. You wouldn't want to use them for things like T anchors.

Jimmy1976 01 Oct 2014

Check it out

http://www.dryicetools.com/kronos/
 d_b 01 Oct 2014
In reply to Jimmy1976:

Laminating's cheating
 KellyKettle 01 Oct 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
Pretty much, I seriously considered making some wooden technical axes (and when i get my workshop set up again still might...)

My research identified three key problems...

A suitably strong (and robust) wooden axe will be heavier than a metal or carbon one. Hollowform torsion box isn't viable due to the dimensions and requirement for robustness.

Expense the kind of timber required would need good mechanical properties and still be reasonably light, Clear Grades of Stika Spruce (Ideally Aircraft Grade) would be ideal but are rare and frightfully difficult to obtain.

Grain, the shaft-pick union would be weakened by a junction that bisects the grain, so either conventional wedged junction like a claw hammer, or an engineered timber construction, with multiple grain alignments (as per plywood) with the adhesive providing the strength across the shaft widthways (views from the front). Secondly forming a modern shape from a single piece of timber would be challenging, and would require steam bending or similar to get the shape and strength desired.

I concluded that a COTS pick could be used with a laminated shaft made from several veneers of timber in varied orientations, possibly with an integral metal shank or sleeve to protect the wood from damage.

A three piece solid wood construction is feasible using a Stock Pick for a quark-like geometry using clever joints and adding some extra bulk around the head for robustness, but would be appreciably weaker than metal. A Custom Pick/head and steam bending would make a one piece shaft of that geometry feasible and probably be stronger.
Post edited at 23:00
altirando 01 Oct 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

My old Camp axe has a laminated bamboo shaft, not a technical axe of course, but a delight to use on moderate terrain.
 Dave 02 Oct 2014

Why not ? At home I have a wooden-shafted log splitting axe which is many years old. I beat hell out of it by using both hands and as much force as I can with an over shoulder swing to split logs. Thats much more force than you use with an ice tool. The shaft is quite slender and has shown no signs of splitting or breaking. Aren't wooden-shafted tools usually made with hickory ? The downside is that I suspect the shaft would have to be thicker than a metal or carbon shaft.
 d_b 02 Oct 2014
In reply to altirando:

I really like the feel of wooden walking axes, and wish there were more of em around. I'm half way through doing up an old camp axe at the moment. Not sure exactly what the shaft is on this one, but it's not bamboo.
 George Fisher 02 Oct 2014

Nice topic!!

I think there are several reasons for there not being more wooden tech tools around.

Firstly it's pretty difficult and time consuming to get over the challenges of 'wood' as a material. In fact I don't think that a piece of non-manufactured wood, ie not a laminate of some kind, would ever make a truly technical tool. The grain of wood, running in one direction as it does just doesn't cope well with forces applied across the grain. Once you start down the route of a leashless type tool with finger rests and extremely curved shafts, bits would just start falling off. The hardest part of making the Kronos tool is the transition from shaft to pick. Wood, even composite material just isn't hard enough to rely on a couple of bolts to hold the pick in place. Bolts would just slice their way through the wood eventually. Keeping the weight down and the balance right is another problem, our tool comes in at 3 grams lighter than a Nomic, I was very pleased with that, getting the swing right and the weight up to the head of the tool without a tubular shaft was difficult.

Secondly, the wood technology available today just wasn't available at the time tools progressed from straight shafts to more radical designs. Aluminium and steel were common and well understood and already used in other climbing gear so it was natural to use those materials. The beech composite we've been using in the Kronos tool have come out of the motorsport and nuclear industry in the last 10 years, relatively new and exotic.

I think the third reason is one of mass-producability and consistancy. Metals and plastics are generally bought cheaply to a standard and treated in standardised ways, when it comes to making a thousand of something it's a lot easier if you start with a known and rated raw material. Our tool is strong enough to meet all the T-rating tests carried out by the UIAA, even the pick torque test but it still might be interesting getting a certificate. Time will tell...

I've realised this has turning into a pretty nerdy reply, sorry if it's bored anyone to sleep. If anyone is interested though I could talk all day about it. I'm currently making the 2nd generation tools, making some small changes to the balance and grip so I'm thinking about this a lot at the moment.

And of course.. Keep your eye on the blog for more info and hopefully a release date for the Kronos this winter.
http://www.dryicetools.com/news-blog/

The Potato 02 Oct 2014
Edit - As George fisher said

Id love to use one, and if you had some custom made then yes no reason at all, however the difficulty I believe lies in the mass production factor in that finding the right kind of wood that is suitable for producing hundreds or thousands of handles to the same exacting standards would be a nightmare as there are so many variables in the material it wouldnt be feasible to safety test each one.
Post edited at 09:35
 fire_munki 02 Oct 2014

They look lovely! Nothing I'd ever need but if I did they'd get a look in.
In reply to ow arm:

I think if you were sticking with a piece of natural wood, you'd be spot on. The variation from one sample to the next can be pretty massive. You never know what's going on inside the sample.

The material we are using in Kronos is more like carbon fibre than wood. Each sample is engineered to be identical in terms of strength and stiffness. The grain is laminated to put the fibres in the exact proportion of longditudinal vs transverse.

That said they will be made in small batches so quality control will be manageable. I'd like to think production of hundreds is achievable.

Wow - Awesome response to this!

@KellyKettle - I agree - when I started looking at what kind of wood would be required (and consulting some more 'woody' friends of mine) I found the properties needed for the high performance expected - dictated some pretty rare/ expensive answers. I wonder if there would be a way to design around this, keeping the aesthetic and feel of wood whilst relaying on other materials to provide strength? Grivel seem to have found a pretty thin, light strong material for their X Monsters... anyone know what that stuff is actually?

@GeorgeFisher - This is awesome! Can't believe I didn't find this... will be keeping an eye on your blog. The Composite beech seems like a great solution for strength in the handle but I notice you've had to extend the pick piece quite far into the shaft, with 3 bolts. How has this effected the weight distribution?

If you guys handn't guessed already, I'm a Product Design Student and I'm thinking of a few final year projects (this one being more of a material experiment project) and this was something I had sketched up about a year ago but never had the guts to ask anyone about it.
Unfortunately it seems like if I was to continue with this project I'd pretty much just be plagiarising George! The Kronos is almost exactly what I'd had in mind.

Anyone else with Nerdy answers/ wood tips please keep commenting, i'd love to hear some more opinions

A point of interest picking up on what DavidBeynon said: Do you guys think there is a significant Trust barrier for using wooden tools? The idea of wood being something that chops and burns and splinters perhaps creates a negative influence when you have to throw your whole bodyweight into something... It's all very well plunging or placing wooden tools but I'd be pretty nervous to torque one!
 d_b 02 Oct 2014

I think it is the old BMC "handbook of climbing" that has a picture of a wooden axe with a big break in its shaft and a caption that effectively* says "and this is why we use metal shafted axes for climbing kids".

I'll see if I can find it and upload an image if anyone wants me to.

I guess the point there is that modern wood based composites are not the same as wood, so calling them "wooden tools" is unhelpful from a trust point of view.

*it doesn't actually say that at all, but that's the message you take away.
 wercat 02 Oct 2014
"chops burns and splinters"

and flies, in the most exacting conditions possible!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/dehavillandmosquito.cfm

(My driving instructor flew in Mosquitos, somewhat distracting to hear his accounts of operations attacking German airfields at low level etc..)
Post edited at 16:17
 yodadave 02 Oct 2014

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/anyone-done-homemade-ice-tools/107445332#a...

check out the hickory and walnut nomics half way down the thread.

was hoping to make some before I lost access to a woodshop.
I made some figfour style nomics out of ply instead.
Drytooling style torque is an interesting issue but have made my living swinging a hickory handled hammer I wouldn't be too concerned.
 d_b 02 Oct 2014
In reply to yodadave:

Beautiful work.
 d_b 02 Oct 2014

Here we go.

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/misc/P1000020.JPG

That's your trust barrier right there

Sorry I'm too lazy to make it smaller. No excuse.

Thanks Andrew

Most of the wooden tech axes I've seen online seem to have compromises around the pick interface. Either people make a non replicable pick, which is not really satisfactory, certainly for a production tool. Or they use a massively oversize head area and an off the shelf pick, I wasn't prepared to have an ugly product and a standard pick just doesn't offer the strength in the right places.

I extended the pick to offer support to the interface, what you don't see is on the inside of the tool is the pick is just a skeleton and the wood dovetails into it. The 3 bolts don't actually hold the pick in but rather hold the 2 halves of the handle together.

Balance wise, the prototype was a little grip heavy (or pick light). The new version is shaping up to be just right (like a Nomic).
 Nordie_matt 02 Oct 2014

There was a link to denim tools. . .

http://www.gravsports-ice.com/icethreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Nu...
 d_b 03 Oct 2014
In reply to George Fisher:

Do you think that extending the pick even further into the handle would reinforce it enough to lay worries about winter belays to rest, or would that mess up the balance too much?

Or does the laminating provide enough strength for that already?

Jamie B 03 Oct 2014

Interesting thread, but the question has to be asked of why? Metal-shafted tech axes seem to be doing quite well...
 George Fisher 03 Oct 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

One early proto did have a longer pick but it became too difficult to replace and actually reduced stiffness. As you say, it didn't help with the balance either.

The laminated material is half the strength of steel, one fifth the weight. I'm really not worried about a buried axe type belay. It really is amazingly strong.
In reply to Jamie B:

For me the 'why' started as a challenge from a DRY ICE tools customer who liked our wooden indoor handles and asked if we'd ever do an outdoor tool.

As a cabinet maker and ex motorsport engineer I couldn't resist trying. I didn't think it would actually perform as well as it does.

I still use Nomics too but the wooden axes have such a nice feel to them. Maybe like a steel road frame vs a Alu one...and they look super cool.
 d_b 03 Oct 2014
I thought it might be strong enough on its own. That's why I think it's important to make the distinction between plain old fashioned wood and modern laminates.

I have to admit i'm quite tempted.
Post edited at 13:02
In reply to davidbeynon:

Tempted? Into buying a pair..

We're hoping to release this winter but getting them right is the most important thing to me. The demand is there it seems. We've had guys offering cash for the early show prototypes I did last year.

@JamieB - Because if we never explored the capabilities of other materials, then axes - or anything else for that matter - would never evolve!

That said - this is more of a material experiment than a proposal for a 'better' material. I was quite interested to see if it had been done, and how it had effected performance, manufacturing process etc... and also to see how damned good they looked!

@George - do you have any pictures of your 2nd generation axes in their current state? Would be way cool to see what you're doing with them. Interesting to hear a more modular design proved so difficult, makes me want to get out a pencil and start thinking of a solution. As Strong as that beech composite sounds - maybe you could start selling them as a bespoke product?

@davidbeynon - amazing! So its the BMC's fault... thanks for throwing the image up
 jkarran 03 Oct 2014

> So why not a wooden technical axe?

Possible? Yes, very.

First choice material for something that has to be mass-producible, light, tough and have a certified strength that is predictable within tight tolerances? No.

jk
 jkarran 03 Oct 2014

> The beech composite we've been using in the Kronos tool have come out of the motorsport and nuclear industry in the last 10 years, relatively new and exotic.

Interesting! Do you have a link? I'm familiar with wood in aviation and I know it has a long history in various motorsports but I can't imagine what it's being used for in the nuclear industry!

jk
In reply to jkarran:

I don't have a link but it's used as neutron shielding due to its high density and Hydrogen content. I don't understand what any of that really means but it sounds great.

'Are you constantly bombarded with unwanted neutrons whilst winter climbing? Then you need the new Kronos by Furnace Industries'

Catchy advertising slogan?
 nigel n 03 Oct 2014

I had a wooden shafted axe with a deeply curved pick made by Grivel in the mid/ late 70s. They seemed to be fairly popular at the time It served well on most of the classic Scottish Vs and even on the Black Cleft. It never gave any problems needing just a quick coat of oil once a year. No idea what the wood was. It handled better than any other axe I have had and was better on glacier ice and snow ice than anything else available, though not so good on water ice. Only replaced it when Chacals became widely popular. Its probably still knocking about somewhere.
 KellyKettle 03 Oct 2014
In reply to jkarran:

It may be this stuff, B15 Delignit... Comes in a bulletproof version too!

http://www.advancedtechnicalpanels.co.uk/cnc-machining/B15-Densified-Beech-...

It's impressive stuff, Chemically & Physically modifed wood offers a lot in varying applications, Accoya Acetylated timber, This Steam Densifed Beech, and Beech treated with high temp ammonia all give radically improved physical properties.
 jkarran 03 Oct 2014

> 'Are you constantly bombarded with unwanted neutrons whilst winter climbing? Then you need the new Kronos by Furnace Industries'
> Catchy advertising slogan?

Good marketing for Rjukan with its heavy water history

jk
 Rob Davies 06 Oct 2014

I'm sure there will be people better informed than I am about the history of these things. My recollection is that traditional axes (with a virtually straight pick) always had wooden shafts until the 1970s. The original innovative dropped pick axes/hammers (Chouinard?) used wooden shafts, I think, but at about the same time or shortly afterwards MacInnes introduced technical axes with metal shafts and Snowdon Mouldings an axe with a fibre-glass shaft. 'Cos these materials are stronger and less prone to breaking, I assume.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...