Altitude and athletic performance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blunderbuss 22 Sep 2014
At what height does altitude affect athletic performance to a significant extent if not acclimatised?

I am talking about top level athletes not 'punters' i.e. middle/long distance runners.

I remember once watching a 1500m race in Madrid (600m asl?) and the commentator said their would be an altitude effect, always seemed a little low to me to be impacting athletic performance.

Banned User 77 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Probably, but certainly 3000ft is plenty..

It will only be a couple of % but at the elite level it makes a few second / mile..
needvert 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

This sort of graph popped into my head. I'm not sure what population segment it applies to, but it is interesting.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fN60X7MNXZg/UCzGIcaL2pI/AAAAAAAAAp0/zqTpjRmLowg/s...

Was trying to find one like in Training for Alpinism that went up to 9000m but no luck.
Post edited at 15:00
 Cardi 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

If you look at http://tinyurl.com/qgzt3ge

This shows the relationship between altitude and barometric pressure (1 atm at sea level is 101kpa or 760mmHg). At 1500m, you will see a 15-20% drop in atmospheric pressure and therefore partial pressure of oxygen. Note that the fraction of inspired O2 is 21% at all altitudes.

At some point above 1000m (by which point there is a c10% drop in barometric pressure), if exercising at close to VO2 max, you would expect there to arrive a point where it starts to become 'supply dependent.' The higher the intensity of exercise, the higher the requirement for oxygen and therefore the lower you notice the 'air being thin'. I have certainly noticed it after running a couple of hundred yards at 1900m.
 splat2million 22 Sep 2014
In reply to needvert:

That's a really interesting graph. I went searching for the paper and it is here if anyone else is as interested (geeky) as I am:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16311764
 Nick Harvey 22 Sep 2014
In track cycling, altitude, to a certain level, helps. I forget the details, but it has a greater effect on reducing drag than on limiting performance.
 Banned User 77 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Nick Harvey:

It also depends on the event, more anaerobic sports can be helping by lack of air resistance..
 Nick Harvey 22 Sep 2014
That figures - faster speeds with less need to keep aerobic.

Here is one study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8565981
 cezza 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

After push starting a small hatchback on behalf of some elderly Americans on the Nufenenpass this summmer, I can tell you that nearly 2500m of ascent makes a noticeable difference to the VO2 max of an averagely fit person. It felt like I was working on half a lung.

Cezza
 yorkshireman 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Annecdotally I found the 1000m point enough to make a noticeable difference.

Now that I've lived and trained at 1200m for 3 years I find a noticeable benefit when I fly down to a sea level city and go for a run.
 wbo 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss: there are a lot of variables and your state of fitness is the biggest. But for some years I went to Colorado to train and at 1800m took a whuppin' for the first couple of weeks.

I've raced 10k at 3000m and it wasn't easy

mbh 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

In my 30s, about 15-20 years ago, I lived at 1000m for four years. I didn't do aerobic exercise much in that time, but found that I could walk quickly up to 2000-2500m or so without any discernible effects. Above 3000m and the altitude became really noticeable - shortness of breath, elevated heartbeat, and on overnight stays, nausae, headaches, constipation etc.
boulderbaz 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blunderbuss:

2000m meters of gain is the usual 'noticable' height where the effects are pronounced. ANy height gain is going to effect oxygen levels in blood thus performance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...