Expedition Medic Course - Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Parmo 17 Sep 2014
Hi all,

I am looking for first hand recommendations for Expedition / Wilderness Medic courses please. Any positive / negative thoughts on courses appreciated.
My own short list includes Prometheus, High Peak First Aid, Expedition Medicine for an approx week long course in UK.
I have basic trauma care experience, so looking to build on this.
Thanks for helping. Rob
 Dave Lucas 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Parmo:

Rob

The best course for you depends on the level you are already at. To start with I would aim at an FPOS course with the emphasis on the outdoors. What you will want to aim for is a Wilderness EMT course. This is an advanced level of first aid/medic, but it is a great course to get. Glenmore Lodge do 1 course a year run by those at WEMSI. It is a fantastic course and is perfect for what you need, but as I said it is an advanced course so you may need to do a basic EMT course first. WEMSI do run a wilderness FPOs course which could be the best place to start.

http://www.wemsi-international.org/index.php/wilderness-first-responder

Then move onto the WEMT:

http://www.wemsi-international.org/index.php/wilderness-emergency-medical-t...

I hope all this helps.

Cheers

Dave Lucas
www.expeditionconsultancy.com
 Mr Trebus 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Parmo:

Hi,

I went on a WMT far From Help course at Glenmore Lodge. They teach courses across UK and in Cham.
I found it very informative and learned about from basic first aid to placing a cannula and stitching. Another benefit is that completion of the course allows you to self cert prescriptions for 2 years from their partner pharmacy.

I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to enhance their first aid skills.

Al

In reply to Parmo:

What quals have you got e.g. nurse/doc/paramedic/first aider etc? WEMSI cater for different levels.
anthonyh 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Parmo:
the WEMSI course are very good, the Scottish one will be one soonish and the irish in march

the irish one works out abit cheaper both are very good

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBt2Liasye0&

Anthony
Post edited at 22:50
OP Parmo 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Parmo:

Thanks everyone for your much valued thoughts/ recommendations, really appreciated.
I am a Firefighter with FPOS intermediate, but use skills sporadically rather than regularly..

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...