Austria - Advice and Information

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 boardbagged 14 Sep 2014
Hi everybody,

Just floundering around trying to get some kind of organisation on my winter plans. Thought I would dig around on here and see if anyone has any experience with winters in Austria. Always wanted to get out there but struggling to find much information online in regards to anything really. I have very few european contacts thanks to the last 3 years in North America so was hoping someone on here might be able to get me a bit more focused.

Main motivations are ski touring and splitboarding but also keen to continue my progression of ice, mixed and alpine climbing in the winter months. Anyone got any advice for recommended locations, potential contacts, resources for finding climbing and skiing partners or just advice when moving over to the Austrian side or the alps?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot. Seb
 smithg 14 Sep 2014
In reply to boardbagged:

http://aacuk.org.uk/

A part of the Austrian Alpine Club for Brits/english speakers.

Also www.summitpost.org
 Aigen 15 Sep 2014
In reply to boardbagged:

I have been living in Innsbruck for a few years now. You need to be mobile. Regarding ski touring. Last year on the north side of the alpine range we had no to very little snow. But on the northen side there was massive amounts. So if you are willing to be able to sack in one place and move to another you will have a good season. Regarding ice, its hit and miss. The year before last we had ice falls everywhere and the season was nice and long. from jan to end of March in the shade. But last year it was poor with a limited amount of ice. Again if you are will to just say I am out of here and off to chamonix then nothing lost. Ski touring is very good in Austria. But there are alot of people, even mid week. Some of the huts before mid March have winter rooms that are left open but please check first or you will have a cold night. Also if you are the first person there that season you will have to dig out a passage to get to the door. when the huts are all open they are much nicer and cheaper than the french and swiss ones. Any more info just PM me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...