Trekking - Post Lymphoma

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 12 Sep 2014
Sorry to bring up my ailment again but I'm obviously in new territory.

Obviously I want to get my fitness and stamina back and out on the hills as soon as possible. However my trekking hols often consist of hut to hut walks in places such as the Pyrenees. I have, on occasions, used unmanned huts where the facilities have, at best, been basic if not downright squalid. I have often been unable to wash or shower for several days although I now always carry hand cleansing gel. You know what I mean?

I'm just wondering if my recent illness might now preclude me from leading such a life style. Grateful for any advice or comments.
 Skip 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

bump
 Blue Straggler 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

bump
 Ava Adore 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I suspect the reason you've had no replies is because this is going to be impossible for someone to judge on your behalf. Even those who have suffered from the same condition will potentially be at a different level of ability, fitness, motivation, age... so many factors to take into account in making this judgement. Hopefully your experiences of getting out into the hills closer to home in the next few months will give you a better idea of what you will be capable of putting up with.
 kathrync 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Depending on what treatment you had, you may find that you are slightly more susceptible to viral infections than you were. This shouldn't make much difference to getting out and about - just make sure that your vaccines are up to date. Most things you are likely to catch while trekking are bacterial anyway. It certainly shouldn't stop you doing what you want to do, and unless you are doing stupid stuff like preparing food without washing your hands (or at least using that gel on them) a couple of days without a shower should be no big deal.

Otherwise, you might find you are less fit and/or more lethargic. This will vary from person to person and only you can judge it. Just get back into things gradually - start with easy day trips and work back to the hut-to-hut treks.

Edited to add: if you really have concerns, speak to your consultant or GP. You may also find a support group to be helpful.
Post edited at 16:01
OP mypyrex 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Ava Adore: Thanks Ava, I understand your comments but kathrync's answer actually covered what I was looking for. Thanks anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...