Cuillin ridge solo in a green bikini?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pog100 19 Aug 2014
Thought that might get your attention...
I wondered if anyone could throw some light on a story I heard a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were completing a three day walk through some Knoydart Munros and got talking to an elderly woman camping in a van at the head of Loch Arkaig. She had just finished Sgurr Mor and only had 4 more Munros left. She was maybe in her late sixties to seventies ,hard to tell, very lively and good to chat to.
She said one of her claims to fame was to have soloed the ridge wearing only a green bikini, except for a couple of abseils where she had done a "reverse striptease" as she described it, possibly still classic abseil, I don't know.
From her age, I would guess this would have been in the 60s or 70s and wondered if anyone had heard the tale and maybe even know who she was? We of course neglected to ask her name.
Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2014
In reply to pog100:

Is climbing in swimming gear or sportswear that uncommon? I went through a phase of walking in a swimming trunks; it didn't last long though.
OP pog100 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I think it may have been back in the day. I suspect female solo attempts would have been relatively rare anyway.
I like full body armour when I might scratch me knees
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider: I did Luna Bong in a pair of swimming shorts. That was an awesomely bad mistake on several levels.

Could the lady in question have been Angela Soper?
 Enty 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Is climbing in swimming gear or sportswear that uncommon? I went through a phase of walking in a swimming trunks; it didn't last long though.

Got me thinking, there's been so many ladies done the Cullin Ridge solo in a green bikini it could be almost anyone.....

E
Lusk 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

Has there been a gentleman in a greeen mankini to solo the Cuillin Ridge yet?
Could be a first up for grabs there, I'll pass!
OP pog100 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

No, not Angela. I know her by face at least, and also this lady had only led to about severe level. Probably around that generation though, I would guess.
Not sure I care to visualise your exploits in trunks though....
 BnB 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Lusk:

> Has there been a gentleman in a greeen mankini to solo the Cuillin Ridge yet?

Ouch. Imagine belaying your mankini-ed leader as he makes the crux step up from the first belay on the Inn Pinn. No don't.

Enty 19 Aug 2014
In reply to BnB:

Slightly off topic but similar in a way.

I was belaying a mate on the Styx wall at Buoux back in the 80's when Catherine Destiville turned up in a bikini (like she did back then) to climb the route next to us.
The first moves involved her doing some serious bridging - not an unpleasant sight I might say....

E
 nastyned 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty:

Did you lob off the route?
 Blue Straggler 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Lusk:
> Could be a first up for grabs there, I'll pass!

I'm not grabbing at any mankini!
Post edited at 19:12
 Rob Exile Ward 19 Aug 2014
In reply to Enty: I rather wish you'd kept that anecdote to yourself ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...