Sgurr Choinnich Mor from Glen Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 18 Aug 2014
Is there any kind of path up from the Water of Nevis to the bealach between Stob Choire Bhealiach and Sgurr Choinnich Beag and on to Sgurr Choinnich Mor? A friend has Sgurr Choinnich Mor to do as his last Munro in a couple of weeks and there's going to be a bit of an outing which will include some people who aren't regular hillwalkers. They're all very fit, but some aren't so good on difficult terrain.

I've looked on the maps and there's nothing marked, but I know from experience that's not necessarily an indicator of anything.
 Bob 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

A kind of weird one to have as your last Munro. These shots http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/229658 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3331412 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3513851 suggest it's not too bad if a little dreary. I went out and back along upper Glen Nevis last year but can't remember any paths heading upwards that way but I wasn't looking for any.
 kwoods 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:
Yeah I haven't quite done the exact route but I can say quite surely that there won't be much of a path at all. I remember a vague path coming down from the summit over Sgurr Choinnich Beag, which petered out altogether by the time it got to the bealach below Aonach Beag.
Post edited at 14:32
 kwoods 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

"Anyway I carried on then, making my way up the grassy hillside towards Sgurr Choinnich Beag. Not too steep but sweat-inducing all the same. Eventually the long, coarse grass gave way to shorter grass and rocks and at this point, judging I was high enough, I contoured round the hillside to arrive quite nicely at the col between SCB and SCM. "

http://website.lineone.net/~munrover/trip108.html
 Mike-W-99 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

I've descended off of the Grey corries that way and just recall lots of tussocks and bog.
mhart 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

Not from what I can remember, and if there is I certainly didn't find one! I remember it as a bit of a slog through long grass. It was a pretty wet day in June so my recollection maybe clouded (literally) by the weather conditions.
OP tony 18 Aug 2014
In reply to everyone:
Many thanks all. Looks like it's a slog up the hill.
Post edited at 15:11
 Phill_Away 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

Yes, I have done it in winter (and summer as a Gray corries ridge) and there was no real path.
Its not too bad terrain.

Cheers
Phill
 Andy Nisbet 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

I did exactly that in December 2013 and can confirm there is no path. Getting across the stream that comes down from the col was pretty exciting for me (I had to go a long way upstream) but it had been wet overnight.
 malky_c 18 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

I don't remember a path, but the upper part was covered in snow, so that probably doesn't help. I don't remember any difficult terrain either, so I doubt it will be too hard.
 Mike-W-99 18 Aug 2014
OP tony 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Thanks for that. Looks okay, although the long grass will be a bit rubbish if it's wet. Best make a start on managing expectations.
OP tony 18 Aug 2014
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

> I did exactly that in December 2013 and can confirm there is no path. Getting across the stream that comes down from the col was pretty exciting for me (I had to go a long way upstream) but it had been wet overnight.

So was that at the bottom of the slope, near where the burn enters the Water of Nevis?
 Andy Nisbet 19 Aug 2014
In reply to tony:

> So was that at the bottom of the slope, near where the burn enters the Water of Nevis?

I was hoping to cross there, but couldn't, so had to go a long way upstream to where I could cross. Didn't matter too much, as I was going vaguely that direction anyway. It would have been more serious if trying to go on up the glen. You'd be a bit unlucky to get that much water in summer unless after heavy rain. Early December is wetter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...