Cairngorms MTB loop with epic rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 12 Aug 2014
I’m planning on doing the tour of the Cairngorms loop this weekend and am a bit concerned about some of the river crossings – does anyone have any local knowledge as to how long the rivers take to calm down after heavy rain? Also MWIS say some footbridges have washed away - anyone know which ones? I take it things are somewhat damp underfoot at the moment.
Thanks
Tom
 Toby_W 12 Aug 2014
In reply to ebdon:

Some relatives in Inverness have just posted up a pick of some old bridge with a quite dramatic amount of water flowing under and around it.
Good luck.

Cheers

Toby
OP ebdon 12 Aug 2014
In reply to ebdon:

Cheers - I'd missed that story, hopefully things will calm down a bit before the weekend and i don’t have to pack my arm bands.
 rif 12 Aug 2014
In reply to ebdon:

The burns and rivers fall rapidly once it stops raining, so (on current forecasts) you should be OK to start with, but some more rain is forecast for late Saturday onwards. The part I would be most worried about is upper Glen Feshie, where you might have to cross a rather large river because there will almost certainly have been fresh landslides in the stretch where the path is most tenuous (around NN862900 -- look at it on OS Get-a-Map). The estate track crosses the river three times, at places which are OK in a dry spell but iffy to impossible in higher flows. Ideally you stay on the true right bank all the way to Achlean.
hth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...