advice with changing letting agent problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 11 Aug 2014
So my landlord changed the letting agency I use from x to y and I signed a new contract with y. This overlapped with the contract with x. Y informed me that x should not charge full rent for the final month as my contract with them was now void because of the new contract my landlord has with y.

X charged full rent as expected because letting agents lie most of the time and now admitted there was a problem. However they refuse to give a refund and claim y was in the wrong. As per usual x and y didn't give me anything in writing apart from a contract. Which I didn't have much choice but to sign

So who do I keep calling at work tomorrow to get the money back. Willing to take x to small claims court because they were so useless and took a month to finally say they would not give any rent back.
In reply to itsThere:

I think you have been poorly informed. It's up to you to cancel any standing orders with anyone you are paying. You are probably best getting advice from CAB or a lawyer.
OP itsThere 11 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Some letting agents such as x take your bank details to set it up for you, then charge you rent after the contract has ended and take 3 weeks to refund it.
In reply to itsThere:

That sounds like a Direct Debit. You are still responsible to cancel it at your end. I'm not saying you are to blame I should add, just that you have been poorly informed and would have a good case to get your money back plus any interest/charges you may have incurred.
OP itsThere 11 Aug 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales: we got that money back but y said x should not have charged full rent for the final month and they did

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...