Photo rotation software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 27 Jul 2014
Im using windows and often take photos in both landscape and portrait aspects, when I load the files to my pc, it often takes me ages to sort through them and rotate them to the correct orientation
Is there some kind of software that can do this automatically for me?
 Bob 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Most software should do this - it is part of the EXIF meta data that the camera stores with the image. However there are eight possible values but not every value is handled correctly by every program. Do a search for exif metadata orientation
 FactorXXX 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

There might be an option on your camera that will do it.
5tormin' 27 Jul 2014
 Lukem6 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

select all pictures you want to rotate while holding down CTRL, then right click and selsct rotate
 Lukem6 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

that tips free
 Blue Straggler 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

> Most software should do this - it is part of the EXIF meta data that the camera stores with the image.

This would presumably depend upon the camera knowing the orientation under which a photo was taken. Lower-end cameras probably don't do this as standard yet do they?
OP The Potato 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Lukem6:

yup or bulk select with shift
it just takes ages for windows to rotate it, and my pc isnt particularly slow.
 Blue Straggler 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

> yup or bulk select with shift

> it just takes ages for windows to rotate it, and my pc isnt particularly slow.

IrfanView might be worth a look
OP The Potato 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

infranview with added plugins - use it in thumbnail mode, wow, so much quicker than windows folders AND it orientates them correctly from the exif data!

sweet, thanks
 Bob 27 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Yes, but I don't know at what level this becomes standard. Presumably it's one of the value added features in mid to higher end cameras.
 Bob 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

What program were you using before?
 Lukem6 27 Jul 2014
In reply to ow arm:

In short there isn't any software, you could use photo editing software but the wait wont be lessened much, and some editing software will work quicker but only on soft copies requiring you to export before you access photo's in desired manner.

but how much you can speed up windows file handling process's will depend on how tec savy you are.
the following will depend on what windows your running. there is a lot you can do from disabling Indexing, disabling thumb prints(this will make it harder for seeing what files your changing.) and for the real tec savy there is a lot in windows you can delete or simply disable in registry. then there's forcing your CPU you to work at full always as your CPU is managed and will work as hard as it feels efficient and most software will use only one or two of its cores.

My 8 year old pc takes <10 seconds to flip 100 pictures (500mb)

A better forum to ask on could be

forums.overclockers.co. uk

Blue Straggler 28 Jul 2014
In reply to Bob:

> What program were you using before?

I'll take a guess at Windows Explorer. There's an option in there for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...