Bike racing (beginner) / drive train queries!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 27 Jul 2014
Ok, few questions for the collective experience of UKC

My bike collection reached 's' this week and so I need to get rid of a bike. Now at the same time I decided to get a racing licence and start having a go at some 4th Cat. stuff in my local area.

The bike I was going to sell (to bring my collection down to s-1) has Ultegra 6800 and a compact chainset. The bike I was planning on racing is quite a bit lighter and has Ultegra 6700 and a triple. I was planning on racing a triple as I could just use the two big chain-rings you see. Or should I swap the drivetrains, as the 6800 will let me fit a standard chainset in the future and is 11 speed compatible, where my 6700 is all triple (long cages, shifters, etc). Short term though I'd be stuck using a compact which isn't idea.

Oh and the other variable is that the two bikes have 10 and 11 speeds wheels so I can't mix and match (RS80's and R31's), so if I got for the future proof drivetrain I'll have the worse (marginal) wheels.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr so many considerations. I'd love any advice you guys have to muddle through this quagmire of options.

Oh and one final thing. The 11 speed bike is a 70's steel racing bike I restored, pretty decent quality, but I assume the fact it's steel will put people off? Shall I try and sell it complete, or will it be easier to split it up and sell the parts individually do you think?
In reply to Richard Carter:

I guess my first question is whether or not you use the triple as a triple at the moment - by that I mean, would you miss the granny ring on long and hilly climbs? I wouldn't worry about a compact not being 'ideal' for racing as lpts of people do race on compacts with no problem; a 50x11 is about the same size gear as a 52x12, which is a big enough gear for all but the most powerful riders.

If you stuck with the triple, i think you can use the shifters with a double chainset, you'd just need to adjust the limit screws on the front derailleur so you'd have a 'spare' click. Never done this myself but know people who have.

So I guess I haven't answered your question but hopefully it helps a little!

And have fun with the racing...its a whole other world of suffering
In reply to Byronius Maximus:

I don't really use the granny ring unless it's > 1:4 or I've cracked. 34 probably wouldn't get used all that much I guess compared to 39, but I'd be keeping future compatability.

Triple is 52, 39 and 30 with 12-25
Compact is 50, 34 and 11-25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...