Dream of White Horses- The story of THAT picture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 22 Jul 2014
Leo is interviewed about the famous first ascent picture on telly tonight.

BBC 2 9 PM Tuesday 22nd
The story of “A Dream of White Horses”. Its about 5 minutes on “COAST”
 lummox 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Thanks for the heads up Al !
 ewar woowar 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Bump
 Fraser 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Wot, no link to the picture? I'm not sure if I've seen it.
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Wow that wave up he rock really does look like a white horse.

Fraser 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks for the link Chris, great photo.
 Cardi 22 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Cheers, enjoyed the programme. Good footage of Cape Wrath too.
OP Al Evans 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Cardi:

Yeh those crag shots and that sea stack look like they just have to be climbed.
pasbury 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Cardi:

Nice to see Dream on the telly but I wasn't that impressed with the filming of the route.
 steveriley 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

I tuned in just too late, but it's online here for iFans: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04bzwdh/coast-series-9-2-secret-paths...
 Steve John B 23 Jul 2014
In reply to SteveRi:

About 37:20 in to that.
 Greenbanks 23 Jul 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Give over. I thought it was great prime-time viewing for punters. Caught it well in tne time available.
OP Al Evans 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
Apparently the sea stack is Am Buchaille and has been climbed

"This dramatic sandstone stack 65m (215ft) high was first climbed in 1968. It lies to the south of Sandwood Bay, in wild country, requiring a walk of around 4 miles to reach it from the nearest road."

More here
http://ellabellayoung.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/am-buachaille-sea-stack-climb...
Post edited at 12:12
In reply to Al Evans:

One of the biggests regrets of my long climbing career is missing out on what would probably have been the second ascent of this route. EWD had written out the description of the route, literally on the back of a fag packet, for me and a couple of mates while we were chatting with him in the Padarn a few days after the first ascent. We had already done Wen so we had some idea of what was in store.

We abbed in and did the first two pitches but bottled out of the main course and finished up Wen. We just could not believe that it went where it did. When I did it a few months later, after being let in on the secret, I could have kicked myself.

The other big regret was not doing the first free ascent of Regent Street at Millstone. Terry King beat us to it by just a few minutes. Two fantasic routes that any climber would be proud to have his name associated with.

Al
OP Al Evans 23 Jul 2014
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

I also kicked myself for not doing the ffa of Regent St, though Terry did it several days before my planned ascent, so you would have beaten me to it if Terry hadn't
In reply to Al Evans:

The ONLY reason he beat us to it was because we decided to have a cooked breakfast that morning. We never had cooked breakfasts normally. The Peak Climbing Club had fitted a lock to an old concrete explosives shelter that we used as a base. Don't know if it was official I was never a member, I just hung out with those who were.

I don't recall who I was with, it may have been Phil Grayson and John Firth. There was another guy, we called "basecamp" because whenever things got a bit serious he would offer to make dinner or cups of tea. Ken Wilkinson, who later went on to put up Manzoku at Stennis, may also have been around at the time.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...