Which Alps/Cuillin sleeping bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gary Coggon 01 Jul 2014
What are your recommendations for a light/sub-900g down bag to stick inside Gore-tex bivy bag in Alps/on Cuillin Ridge - Spring/Summer and happy to supplement with baselayers, Primaloft belay jacket, hat, etc., if necessary. I've got warmer and heavier bags... Front runners are ME Helium 400, ME Zero 300, Rab Neutrino 400 and PHD Minim 400. Any strong views for/against any of these either way? Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your help

Gary
 Trangia 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I've got a PHD Minim 400 and have found it is superb. I used it in the Fish River Canyon where night time (desert) temps dropped to between 0 and +5 degrees and was never cold. I use it now for everything except winter camping.

It is very light and packs up very small. The best bag I've ever owned and well worth the price tag.

If you ring PHD they will make it to order with choice of no zip, half zip or full zip and will ask what side you want the zip.

I don't know about the Alps - it may not be warm enough for camping high, but ideal for the Cuillin Ridge in Summer where I have also used mine.
 victorclimber 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Gary Coggon:

just used an ordinary Gore Tex bivi bag and that's all on Cuillins and was quiet warm enough
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I have a Neutrino 600 and it is very comfy but fairly narrow. I'm 6 foot with fairly broad shoulders. I fit but it is snug, I can't wiggle an arm out if the bag is zipped up, which can be annoying. Also the zip doesn't go right to the bottom, which means if you're a little too warm you can't vent your feet in a controlled way.
 timmeehhhh 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I have a 600 gram bag, which is way too warm for spring/summer

For summer camping I use my 250 gram bag, which is fine in the valley and good enough higher up in the mountains when combined with some clothing and a bivybag. It weighs in at 650 grams and packs down to the size of a large grapefruit.
 Robbo1 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I have a ME zero 350. Used it with my down jacket lying over the top in the Alps down to just below freezing. Very comfortable.
 Jon Wickham 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Gary Coggon:

I would also consider one of the Extremelite bags from Western Mountaineering. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sl...

Very high quality, and with three lengths available in each bag.
OP Gary Coggon 03 Jul 2014
Thanks, All. Overall, that's feeling like a steer towards the 200-350 range rather than 400. Will look at Western Mountaineering as well now.
timmeehhhh,
What's your 250 bag, please?

Thanks again - genuinely helpful.

Gary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...