Think I'll stop worrying about how strong my CF bike is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 24 Jun 2014

Just saw this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

This is a demo bike that's been on a fatigue rig then ridden for two years and crashed a few times.

I sort of knew CF was pretty strong from when we had the nose cones of a few F1 cars in when we were designing antenna for them.

Rather reassuring.

Cheers

Toby
Post edited at 12:53
Removed User 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

I thought the only real issue with carbon frames was when they have sub-standard construction given that they are effectively handmade?
 The Potato 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

yeah exactly, its not about the material type its how well its made and formed and of what weave etc.

Sure is an impressive material though when made correctly.
OP Toby_W 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Oh thank you very much

Just have to hope for good quality control I guess.

Cheers

Toby
 Timmd 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:
MTBs are made stronger than road bikes too.

To make you feel better still. ()
Post edited at 14:49
 gethin_allen 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:
I'd seen this before but it's always good to see again.
Carbon is super strong when stressed in the direction it is designed for, I'm not so sure about if it's bent of twisted in unusual directions.

It would be interesting to see a comparable test with a carbon/alu road bike.
I'd like to see where
 GrahamD 24 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Carbon is super strong when stressed in the direction it is designed for,

Look at from 5 mins 44 secs onwards where they swing it at a concrete post.

Timmd 26 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Santa Cruz are a great company, I'm not surprised their carbon frames are made as tough as old boots.
 TomBaker 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

As previously mentioned. If the design is right (and its harder for CF than metals) then your only issue is going to be quality control.

Processing can massively vary the strength of composites and its far from obvious until failure.
 jkarran 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

While the video is interesting the whole carbon-aluminium comparison is a little meaningless if you're just looking at yeild loads for individual frames (granted they're two frames from the same maker built for the same activity in this case). The material difference mostly has a bearing on the failure mode, the frame design, tube/wall dimensions, layup, post treatment are what determine the strength (and the stiffness and the cost and the weight).

A more meaningful metric might be to compare the yield-strength/cost or yield-strength/weight or stiffness/weight ratio for fully optimised (for each material) practical frame designs aimed at the same market-sector/rider or to constrain the weight as equal for both frames.

It's also important to consider what's adequate. Should that carbon frame be viewed as super tough or is it perhaps a little overweight (not a big deal for a downhill bike I guess but important on the road). If the ali frame is strong enough it wouldn't be unreasonable to consider the carbon version overbuilt or aimed at a different market.

In fairness the video makers they do make some of these points but it does also have the whiff of a marketing exercise pushing magpie customers toward the more expensive shinier (ok, dull black) product/material.

jk
Post edited at 10:11
 petellis 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

> Just have to hope for good quality control I guess.

A mate at work has a carbon Santa Cruz and it cracked after a couple of months use...
 malk 26 Jun 2014
In reply to jkarran:
interesting
did you see wiggos carbon bike after his recent crash?
how would a steel frame perform in these tests?
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2014
In reply to petellis:

Was it one of the ones from the video ?
 Oceanic 26 Jun 2014
In reply to petellis:

> A mate at work has a carbon Santa Cruz and it cracked after a couple of months use...

Normally I would say that one broken bike means nothing,

but in this case your mates experience is just as valid as a video which shows one unbroken bike.
 ChrisJD 26 Jun 2014
In reply to jkarran:

http://www.i-mtb.com/carbon-vs-aluminium-santacruz-nomad-bike-test/

The SC Carbon C 26" Old Nomad was lighter than the same frame in Alu by about 1.25 pounds.

Carbon = Lighter stronger stiffer costlier
 MikeSP 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

I think my favourite carbon bike video is this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=c0dzMp61G5w&
 petellis 26 Jun 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> Was it one of the ones from the video ?

Its a big posh blue one!
Post edited at 14:35
In reply to Toby_W:

Hi Toby,

Off post but I have a couple of photos that I took of you going up the Merrivale Climb. If you email me via here I'll send you the jpegs.

Nice to see you twice on Sunday!
Sam
In reply to Toby_W:

PS just seen another of your posts it was my YOGI mates on the mountain bikes. They did about 9hr 40min stopped for ice cream at Pork Hill and a beer at the Warren House Inn and raised £300 for Derriford.
OP Toby_W 27 Jun 2014
In reply to La Shamster: have emailed. Great to see you , I was so hot going up there I was barely over taking people

Cheers for the comments and interesting links, my friend makes custom carbon bits for extreme sports, sailing and oddly the oil industry and I've made the stuff myself a few times so I know what it can do.... But knowing and believing don't always go together.

Cheers

Toby

Arms Cliff 27 Jun 2014
In reply to dapoy:
His Bike looks fine, hardly surprising his wheel buckles in that position.
Post edited at 14:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...