Montane Torque opinions or alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kelcat 14 Jun 2014
Hi All,
I've started to look for a replacement to my trusty Berghaus Arete. The newer models don't seem all that robust (happy to be told I'm wrong) and the one I saw today didn't appear to have gear loops?
However my eye was caught by Montanes Torque - design looked good, seemed odd there wasn't a reinforced bottom, but other than that I'd be interested in opinions.
Alternatives (with pros & cons) would also be good.
Use will be climbing - I.e. on my back whilst I climb - but it will also be my kit to thecrag sack as well,

Cheers all,
Kelv.
 Firestarter 14 Jun 2014
In reply to Kelcat:

I have a Torque and I love it. Very comfortable to carry and a good design all around. Nice and light, and you can take the waist belt off so it can be worn with a harness. Good replacement I reckon.
OP Kelcat 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Kelcat:

Cheers for that. Just found it online for £66, so looks like a winner. Liked the Deuter Guide, but not the £100+
 jezb1 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Kelcat:

BD Speed series, love mine
In reply to Kelcat:

Looked for a while at the BD axiom, but more as an all-rounder; then the speed series. But in the end, Blacks (of all places) were doing the torque for 65 quid, so went for that. Haven't had time to use it anger yet, but it's full of solidly thought-out design features and is pretty comfy with a lumpy load on.

The one thing I'd agree on in terms of criticism is the chest strap buckle. It's like the rest of the pack was made in Scottish winter, and the buckle was made in Milton Keynes. By indoorsy hipsters. I'm going to have to alter it.

But so far, very pleased.

Martin
 Street 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Kelcat:

I bought the Torque at the start of this year and used it up in Scotland in the winter. It carries loads well and is comfortable to wear. It's got some really good features and I even like the chest buckle that most don't seem to like. It's coming over to the Alps with me next week for a proper testing too!
 andrewmc 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Firestarter:
> I have a Torque and I love it. Very comfortable to carry and a good design all around. Nice and light, and you can take the waist belt off so it can be worn with a harness. Good replacement I reckon.

I also bought it cheap off Blacks although I have not had a good backpack before to compare it with and have never done anything like its intended use which is clearly alpine climbing - hence the simplicity, removable waistband for using with a harness, abrasion resistance where it would rub in chimneys like the lid, overload loop and side compression straps and buckles for carrying ropes, glove-friendly buckles and pull straps, ice axe and crampon fittings etc...

It also comes with a simple webbing waist belt which you probably could wear with a harness as an intermediate option. I ended up wearing it as a belt for my shorts on holiday, having forgotten to pack a normal one...

It also comes with some shock cord and four loops for a crampon bungee which isn't described anywhere online (not that I have any crampons), and has a 'cool' feature (also not described online) that you can tuck the lid into the bag and then the front strap clips into a loop behind the lid which compresses the whole (empty) bag flat, if that is the kind of thing that is important to you.

So far, in my far-less rigorous use than it was designed for, I think it is pretty awesome :P
Post edited at 19:50
 climber34neil 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Kelcat:

It's a great bag, does everything, big enough for bivi trips and compressible enough to not get in the way when winter climbing . I swapped a BD axis for the torque and not looked back. There is a video on you tube from a shop in the states which shows how to use the bungee crampon straps and how to store the lid inside if you really want to watch it! ( I did, sad or what! )
 Firestarter 17 Jun 2014
In reply to climber34neil:

You haven't got a link for that have you? Cheers!
In reply to Firestarter:
Montane Torque 40 Review: youtube.com/watch?v=csU2RUeCGF0& this should be it
 Firestarter 17 Jun 2014
In reply to climber34neil:

Cheers! Had it since December and learned more than Montane's web!
In reply to Firestarter:

Was very thorough I thought!
In reply to Firestarter:

I've a montane Medusa 32 no complaints i think there bags are
Pretty faultless great price, maybe wait for the new Osprey Mutant 38
Its due anytime or look at the B/D speed 40 (older models going cheap) I didn't like the newer model personally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...