St Kilda to Skye in a 100-yr-old skiff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 02 Jun 2014
"Eight adventurers from Skye have rowed 100 miles (161km) from St Kilda to Portree in an open wooden skiff built more than 100 years ago.
They had left the remote Atlantic archipelago at 04:00 on Friday morning.
The passage lasted just under 31 hours across 41 miles (66km) of the Atlantic, through the Sound of Harris and across the Minch, to arrive in Portree on Saturday."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-27661809
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Amazing! I'm off to St. Kilda in July and cannot wait.
 lummox 02 Jun 2014

Effort ! I imagine it would be very sporting in " normal " sea conditions...
abseil 02 Jun 2014

Thanks for posting, a good read.

(I wouldn't dare go more than 200 yards in that tiny boat...)
 BnB 02 Jun 2014
In reply to lummox:

Fortunately the sea has been like a mirror all week. At least it ahs been on the Sound of Sleat, which is usually whipped into a frenzy of wild horses by the SWerly
 newhey 03 Jun 2014
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> Amazing! I'm off to St. Kilda in July and cannot wait.

I spent 3 days there at the beginning of May, you will not be disappointed!

I went from Skye, the journey there and back can be quite entertaining!
In reply to newhey:
> I spent 3 days there at the beginning of May, you will not be disappointed!

> I went from Skye, the journey there and back can be quite entertaining!

I can't wait. Any advice? We're there for two nights. Also going from Skye with a chap called Derek at the helm. My brother booked it all so I apologise for the sketchy details!
Post edited at 19:54
Jim C 05 Jun 2014

> I can't wait. Any advice? We're there for two nights. Also going from Skye with a chap called Derek at the helm. My brother booked it all so I apologise for the sketchy details!

I'm looking to go this summer too, no fixed plans , interested in how to go about getting there ( economically) accommodation etc .
In reply to Jim C:

Sure 'newhey' can help on this. I think my brother just called up the National Park Authority for a camping permit and they put him in touch with the ferryman.
Jim C 05 Jun 2014
Cheers for that.
 newhey 05 Jun 2014

If you are going with Derek from gotostkilda then he will have booked camping with NTS warden. Derek and Nichola on the boat will look after you well, it's a cracking boat. There is a shower/ toilet block and drying facilities. I can't say enough how wonderful a place it is. Do walk out to Mullach Bi and The Cambir if you get time, the surroundings are pretty unique. PM me if you want any other info.

Jim, there are no cheap options if you want to stay there. Only gotostkilda are running scheduled overnight trips, otherwise you will need to charter a boat yourself from Skye or Harris/Lewis at around £2000 a day but you can split the cost between upto 12 people. Derek will drop you there and pick you up on another trip (weather permitting) but it would cost about £450 return. Camping is £10 a night donation to NTS, bit steep but it's a good cause.
 newhey 05 Jun 2014

Another thing is be careful of the Bonxies, especially in the col to the west of Conachair. There around 40 pairs in a small area and they dive bomb and will hit you. A baseball cap or a walking pole in the air above your head is useful. Spend plenty of time in the village, it is fascinating, and explore the cleats and graveyard behind Main Street. Do head out to the cliffs above the gap between Hirta and Dun. Also loads of puffins on the slopes just past the big gun (careful, it's steep!) and on the steep ground below Mullach Bi. Ask loads of advice from the NTS staff, Paul and Kevin know the place incredibly well and are cracking blokes.

Derek has loads of luggage space on the boat so don't forget the Whisky!
Post edited at 20:55
Jim C 05 Jun 2014
In reply to newhey:

Derek will drop you there and pick you up on another trip (weather permitting) but it would cost about £450 return. Camping is £10 a night donation to NTS, bit steep but it's a good cause.

Wow that is steep. I think I will first talk nicely to my neighbour who has a boat, I know he sails around the West Coast a lot. ( we are Loch Lomond Area)

Anyway Orkney next week first, then think about SK.
 newhey 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim C:

It's a long way out into the Atlantic to St Killda so it's really the cost of fuel that dictates the price of trips there. It's also tricky to land in anything but perfect conditions. Good luck with getting there, it is worth the effort
 felt 06 Jun 2014

> I can't wait. Any advice?

Read this if you haven't done so already; it's fascinating:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Life-Death-St-Kilda/dp/0007438001
Jim C 06 Jun 2014
In reply to newhey:

> It's a long way out into the Atlantic to St Killda so it's really the cost of fuel that dictates the price of trips there. It's also tricky to land in anything but perfect conditions. Good luck with getting there, it is worth the effort

Thanks , I guess the best chance to reduce the cost is to get more people interested to share expences. There was one guy at work who did show an interest, but he is just back from Lybia and then went straight off to Thailand , so he may be 'travelled out ' for this year.

I usually go off on my own, as I can just go when it suits me, where it suits me, but this trip may need a bit of planning/ sharing of expences.

( I took my car all the way to Shetland, so perhaps the cost of getting me to StKilda is not that much more for such an experience. )
estivoautumnal 09 Jun 2014

I did the filming (and photography) for this row. A great effort by everyone involved and a very successful row.

However, there is still a few quid to raise to reach the £20,000 target. The RNLI and Skye and Lochalsh young carers (an extremely worthy cause) will split the proceeds. If anyone feels like donating a couple of quid here is the link.

http://www.justgiving.com/row-stkilda

And the main website.

http://www.row-stkilda.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...