Lake district flora and fauna

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 20 Apr 2014

Can anyone recommend a good book about the animals and plantlife in the lake district?
If it had a bit about the geology too that would be great.

Ta.
 Doug 20 Apr 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Try 'Lakeland' in the New Naturalist series by the late Derek Ratcliffe
In reply to Doug: Though it's older, I'd recommend the earlier book in the New Naturalist series, The Lake District by Pearsall and Pennington. I wasn't as impressed by Ratcliffe's book; it referred too often to the earlier book and had an academic style of writing, which made it hard work to read.

Plus the earlier book can be bought much more cheaply than the latter, which is never a bad thing.

T.

Doug 20 Apr 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

The book by Pearsall & Pennington is a classic but is surely long out of print and getting a bit dated.
In reply to Doug: Oh, absolutely. But the P&P book is available second-hand from Amazon for not much more than the price of a pint, or less for copies in a more worn condition, which even though it is dated makes it something of a bargain.

T.
 roddyp 20 Apr 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

"Nature of Snowdonia" by Mike Raines is a good basic intro to most upland flora and fauna in the UK. It also covers glaciation and geology basics.

For Lakes-specific geology, there's Paul Gannon's excellent "Rock Trails, Lakeland"
In reply to roddyp:

If you want the best advice on Lake District Geology, you need to get "LAKELAND ROCKS AND LANDSCAPE" published by the Cumberland Geological Society with a foreword by Sir Christian Bonington CBE.

My copy is 1992, may be a more recent version.

DC
OP MeMeMe 21 Apr 2014
In reply to MeMeMe:

Thanks all!

I've ordered the Pearsall and Pennington off Amazon so will see how I get on with that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...