Snow cover in lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
One for the lakes based- how much snow is there on the fells, especially around langdale/scafell?

Looking at the various links/webcams it was hard to get a coherent picture- some suggesting good coverage above 600-700m, others with photos showing a decidedly patchy helvellyn.

Most likely going to Scotland, but lakes would be a much shorter drive, so if there was still a lot of snow up high, might consider that as an option instead,

Thanks for any info!

Gregor
 Mark Eddy 26 Mar 2014
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

From what I could see whilst driving over the Wrynose pass today, the Langdale & Coniston fells only have a light dusting on the tops, and high crags such as Pavey & Gimmer were in summer condition.
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

ok thanks- scotland it is then...

gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
well, in the end couldnt face the 6 hours each way to glencoe, and took a punt on there being something left in the lakes. on friday walked up onto bowfell, no snow at all until about 50m below the climbers' traverse- but then good coverage on level ground, though the buttresses were black. axes and crampons on for the traverse, which was more exposed than i remember, and crossing a couple of gullies gave pause for thought. had a look at north gully on bowfell buttress, but it wasn't there; so looked at south gully. thin ribbons of snow over scree in the bottom third, but complete above that, snowpack stable on pit test, so pressed on. steep but non corniced exit, fair grade I territory. then extended the day over bowfell and esk pike, descent past angle tarn, some good navigation practice in the clag. felt good to snatch a winter route after all, at the very end of such a poor season...!

then some valley cragging in the sun on scout crags on saturday, a good weekend!

cheers
gregor
Post edited at 21:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...