Skiing in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 23 Mar 2014
Now I have my "recreational skier" badge, I'm rather itching to do it for real.

I'm thinking of heading up to Scotland and have a few questions for those of you that know. How long does the Scottish season go on for? Is it a good spot for a beginner (thinking Glencoe as it's closest and I can drive it in a day). How reliable are conditions? I've been told that it can be a bit unreliable...

And advice, as ever, gratefully received.
 OwenM 23 Mar 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Is Scotland a good spot for beginners? Yes.

How long does the season go on for? Till the snow melts.

Glencoe is good at the moment.

nw 23 Mar 2014

Nevis was great today.
OP Yanis Nayu 23 Mar 2014
In reply to OwenM:

Thanks for the info. Given current levels of snow and temperatures, is it likely to hang on for a few weeks yet? I would imagine that it's getting to the time of year where it's hard to know, but I have no clue.
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2014
You're right that it's hard to know, but by all accounts tomorrow will be a cracker-- can you get here for that??

I think all of the last few seasons there's been a May Day Massive at Cairngorm, so it's no longer true in Scotland--as it used to be in the 90s--that you've no chance after the end of March.

But from now on, forecasts depending, there is a severe risk that centres may start taking Commercial Decisions that "that's it till December". The only way round this is to provide your own uplift. Either get some touring skis, or be prepared to carry your skis and boots up the hill yourself. You can get some *fantastic* runs this way. You'll work for them a bit, for sure, but it is worth it? Oh my goodness YES
Post edited at 19:02
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Better than paying £30 for the lift!

The gentle noises I just raised with my good lady about maybe raiding Scotland met with a few grumbles about money...
Tim Chappell 23 Mar 2014

What is money for, if not to create unforgettable days?
 nw 23 Mar 2014

The snow cover is quite deep high up at Nevis and Glencoe. So although the last week stripped a lot of the lower and more marginal stuff, a couple of colder nights and some fresh snow fall brought it back into condition pretty quick. It does feel like we've turned the corner into spring but hopefully this good foundation will provide some fun for a while yet. So yeah, hard to say
In reply to Tim Chappell:

> What is money for, if not to create unforgettable days?

You are quite right, however I think I've pulled that one out of the locker a few too many times.
 AG 24 Mar 2014

They're still digging the top lifts out at glencoe (again!) after the latest snowfall , so it should be good well into april and perhaps may. £30 is not too bad when you consider how much it costs for 2 hours skiing in the indoor fridge.
 Tim Davies 24 Mar 2014

Anyone any idea about the snow cover from glen feshie towards cairn toul area?

Fully expect to have to carry a fair bit......
 Cuthbert 24 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Davies:

My guess would be that you would not have to carry from half way up Càrn Bàn Mòr onwards.
OP Yanis Nayu 24 Mar 2014
In reply to AG:

> They're still digging the top lifts out at glencoe (again!) after the latest snowfall , so it should be good well into april and perhaps may. £30 is not too bad when you consider how much it costs for 2 hours skiing in the indoor fridge.

No. it's fair enough - it's just the logistics of what for me would be 2 days travelling and a couple of nights in a tent. Can't find a willing victim to join me and share costs. If the snow lasts it will give me more opportunity to plan for it.

Why did God build Scotland so far away?
 rif 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Tim Davies: Anyone any idea about the snow cover from glen feshie towards cairn toul area? Fully expect to have to carry a fair bit......

Don't know if this is too late to be useful, but I skied to Angel's today (Wednesday). Had to carry skis to top of Carn Ban Mor, but then continuous with a bit of zigzagging and a few metres of moss hopping. Icy above 1100m, soft on top below that but lots of sastrugi. The descents off CBM run out at c700m leaving much heather-bashing to reach the path, and Sg Gaoith looks useless. There is a lot more snow on Monadh Mor & B Bhrotain than on Cairngorm & Macdui.

Tim Davies 26 Mar 2014
In reply to rif:
Just what I was after! Thanks
 Mike-W-99 26 Mar 2014
In reply to rif:

You didn't notice if there was snow on Macdui down to the Lairig Ghru?
Thanks.
 rif 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

Continuous wide cover on true L side of Allt Coire Mhor, but not in the burn line itself. Upper half of Tailleur's looked OK but not wall to wall cover; couldn't see lower part but I'd be doubtful.
 Mike-W-99 26 Mar 2014
In reply to rif:

Thanks, sounds like the snow has ended up in odd places this year.
 Tim Davies 31 Mar 2014

Ski today from glen feshie to Angel's peak. Carry as far as carn ban mor. Continuous snow thereafter.
Ski back from summit all the way to loch nan cnapan.
Skins on after that, didn't bother with the descent gullies.

Warm, but snow perfectly acceptable and holding up nicely.

Monadh mor looked very well covered- more so than braeriach.
 Webster 02 Apr 2014

Given the snow depth, providing the customers keep comming we will all be skiing well into may, granted it may just bo on narrow strips of snow but thats better than nothing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...