Recommend me a pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JonLongshanks 25 Feb 2014

Looking for a small-ish rucksack of about 20 to 25L, maybe a bit more or less either way.

I'll be using it as a multi-purpose pack that I can use for cragging, multipitch, cycling, running and a 2 season day sack. Not to bothered about brands and stuff but definitely want a long-lasting one.

Any good bags like this?
 JayPee630 25 Feb 2014
In reply to aldo56:

No good for running though. More of a dedicated climbing sack.
 aldo56 25 Feb 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I use mine for all of the above! Works lovely.
OP JonLongshanks 25 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

Looks like a great pack. Bit pricey though - will keep an eye out on eBay
needvert 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

Cilogear 30L
 Edradour 26 Feb 2014
In reply to aldo56:

> Very, very good:

BAdhoc 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

Osprey talon
 CurlyStevo 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

This is good and light http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/deuter-speed-lite-20-p189947?gclid=CJ6w8ubU6bwC...

Its quite a bit lighter than the warthog bag linked above but is probably a bit less resilient.
Mattie1985 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

I have a Osprey Talon 22 which I use for running, and it suits all my needs. I thoroughly recommend it, and its on sale @ gooutdoors for £45 atm... http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/talon-22-m-l-p178583
 nufkin 26 Feb 2014
 CurlyStevo 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Mattie1985:

Its quite heavy for what it is (810 grams) that bag. I guess a fair amount of the extra weight is in the waist belt. The Deuter bag I linked has a much more minimal waist belt, which IMO is fine for a 20 litre bag as the belts rarely sit on the waist anyway and the weight I'm likely to get in a 20 litre sack doesn't really require a bulky waist belt.
 BAdhoc 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

On the other hand I have a mammut lithium 20l pack that you can have delivered for £35 pm me for pics! It's got to big a back system for a short arse like me, only been used once
 thedatastream 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

Alpkit Gourdon is a good buy, the 20L is fine for a day cragging or multipitch as you can lash things to the outside easily. You can also run with it but it can bounce around a little as it isn't really designed for that kind of thing. Great for everything else though.

Something like a Haglofs Gram 25 would be better for running. I've got the Gram 15 and it's a good running pack.

OMM also do a variety of packs designed for mountain marathons etc. Check out the offerings here:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Rucksacks/Multi-Day-Running-Sacks
Mattie1985 26 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Sure the Talon 22 is heavier but aside from taking some weight off your shoulders, the waist belt offers 2 useful pockets and the whole pack is built to last - backed up by a lifetime warranty.
 CurlyStevo 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Mattie1985:
TBH I think the deuter bag looks harder wearing. The front panel in particular doesn't look very abrasion resistant to me for summer rock climbing.

As mentioned with these smaller bags I don't think the waist belts really hold much weight anyway not on a back of a 6 foot bloke anyways, its more important to have comfy shoulder straps.
Post edited at 16:32
OP JonLongshanks 26 Feb 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yea I am 6'1 so waist belts on these packs tend not to work, apart from holding it in place for running.
 alexm198 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

I've got a Montane Anaconda 18 which is cracking, though I wouldn't pay RRP for it. I got mine cheap on fleabay as it had a broken buckle, which Montane then replaced for me free of charge... It's nice and low profile. I ran the OMM in it this year and it worked well.

Alternatively, look at Montane's Ultra Tour 22 or even one of those Alpkit Gourdon roll-top packs. They're bomber.
 SFM 26 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:
You might think I'm mental but an OMM classic 25l.
Why?
It's primarily designed for running but the features on it allow for all round mountain use.
It's reasonably light but still strong. The ripstop does last longer than you'd expect. Obviously thrutching up a gabbro chimney is going to shorten it's life somewhat. I've had one for around 4years, run 4 LAMMS plus all the training, taken it cragging, taken it to the wall, been winter hillwalking, etc etc.

But that said if you want something more bombproof( but more simple/less versatile) the Warthog 26l is brilliant too. Not sure I'd want to run with it though!
RaifeHiker 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Dirhaelar:

Dunno if this is any good: http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/day/374-swift-10.html

it's the swift from Vango, has only 10 litres so might be a bit small but its designed for multiple sports and has a 2 litre built in hydration pack. Might only be good for running. I use it for running long distances mainly, tends to stay in place and anything I put in there stays put, but I'm also only 5"9 so the straps across the middle work fine on me.

They have a 20 litre version too, but haven't used that one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...