Light synthetic top as outer/mid layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 28 Jan 2014
What with all these new types of thin synthetic or synthetic/fleece hybrid jackets about, especially some made with that new Polartec Alpha that's supposed to be more breathable than previous synthetics, I've been toying with getting one to fit into my clothing 'system'.

Was thinking of using it in the summer over a base layer (and sometimes a 100w fleece if it's really cold) and pertex windshell as an extra warm layer at stops or when it gets much colder, and in winter on top of a thicker base layer and sometimes under a softshell if needs be.

Guess I'm wanting something that fits well over a thin layer and also under a softshell, so nothing too bulky, more of the 60/80gsm fill of synthetics.

Have been looking at the Montane Alpha Guide, Rab Strata hoody, the Arcteryx Nuclei or Atom LT hoody, the Patagonia Nanopuff hoody, or the Mountain Equipment Compressor Hoody.

What do people think of this? Does anyone else use one for this kind of thing? Any other makes and models that are worth looking at?
 BnB 28 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

My Rab Strata (Polartec Alpha) fits over a microfleece, itself over a mesh baselayer, and under a Montane softshell or ME hardshell according to the weather. All sized medium. It's a fantastically flexible system which all but does away with the need for a belay jacket. In fact I have both the long and short sleeved versions, used according to conditions, or layered together. You can't believe how breathable this stuff is until you try it.

My wife has the Atom LT, which looks great but it simply doesn't breathe as well away from the underarms.

Haven't tried the Montane Alpha guide but I assume that will work extremely well too. It's really an Alpha gilet with powerstretch (or similar) sleeves so not quite the same thing.
 ciaran1999 28 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:
I think you're onto a winner with your idea, very similar to what I have used for years.

The Rab Strata has been getting some very good reviews regarding breathability, which is important when using it as a mid-layer (lots of layers, especially ones with nylon shells, are less breathable than say a fleece).

I'm about to replace my trusty TNF zephyrus with this from Haglofs

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/haglofs-mens-rando-barrier-jacket-1b120080?i...

It's a properly nice bit of kit and well worth a look, stretch fleece to heighten breathability on the back and under the arms, with a breathable and lightly insulated pertex quantum material for the rest.

Hope this helps!
Post edited at 17:31
OP JayPee630 28 Jan 2014
In reply to ciaran1999:

Thanks guys, sounds good, now which one to get! BnB, I suspect we might match in clothes worringly closely, since you gave me advice to get a Montane Alpine Stretch which is now on it's way to me!

Other ones I was considering were the Jottnar hybrid thing and the Rab Xenon X hoody.
 TobyA 28 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

> You can't believe how breathable this stuff is until you try it.

I wonder shell material the Rab Strata uses, because I'm using the Marmot Alpha jacket and its fine, but its nothing super special in terms of breathability. The outer is lightweight pertex and breathes I guess exactly the same as other pertex like that does.
 dutybooty 28 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I use the nano-puff but just a pull over as its very windproof, and if the weather gets really bad I throw a event pull over on top for the hood.

Jeff Mercier does the same with an Xenon Hoody.
OP JayPee630 28 Jan 2014
In reply to dutybooty:

Yeah, I suspect I'd use it as much as an outer layer as a mid layer.
 TobyA 28 Jan 2014
 AlanLittle 28 Jan 2014
In reply to BnB:

Agree about the LT. Excellent light belay jacket, but it would have to be pretty damn cold for me to not get sweaty in it whilst moving.
 BnB 29 Jan 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I wonder shell material the Rab Strata uses, because I'm using the Marmot Alpha jacket and its fine, but its nothing super special in terms of breathability. The outer is lightweight pertex and breathes I guess exactly the same as other pertex like that does.

Pertex Microlight I think, nothing magically new. Perhaps the key is in the inner lining which is similar to the Vapour Rise range.

I didn't really like the feel of the Marmot Isotherm when I tried one, too plasticky against the skin.
 Mr-Cowdrey 29 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

All those you have listed are good choice.

I use the Marmot Variant Jacket, fleece/synthetic hybrid. It comes with and without a hood, is excellent on its own over a base layer with an athletic fit or as a booster layer over a light fleece like the ME Eclipse.

For colder weather, I also use the Mountain Hardwear thermostatic hooded jacket. Fully synthetic and comes in at under 300g! I've used it for skiing and standing around and it's amazingly warm for its weight.

Just another 2 to add to your list
 timmeehhhh 30 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Anyone used the ME Compressor Hoody? Seems to shed some bulk and weight compared to my Fitzroy jacket... Is it warm enough for summer alpine / breathable enough as a winter booster layer? Are there any other <400g options with a slim fit, belay zip and harness loop?
In reply to timmeehhhh:

I bought one in Tiso sale, only used it once so far for belaying (winter time).

Good hood, simple cuffs, as warm as expected, most importantly packs small enough to hang from harness. Previously I used a Patagonia Puffball vest, packs down to same size + it has a hood.

Stuart
SethChili 30 Jan 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

I have an incredibly cheap , compressible and quite warm 'thinsulate' jacket from Lidl supermarkets . When I don't want to carry a down vest or heavier fleece I chuck that on over my baselayer and microfleece . It fills the gap nicely . Paramo Fuera windproof goes on over that and I'm sorted for all but the most seriously wet and cold conditions .
It cost £16 .
OP JayPee630 13 Feb 2014
In reply to SethChili:

Have just bought a Rab Strata hoody, and I'm off to Scotland next week where I'll use it over a base layer as a mid-layer under a softshell or hardshell depending on the weather - and maybe just as a mid/outer combined if it's mild. Interested to see how it functions.

It's very thin and you can see the holes in the insulation through the liner fabric when you hold it up to the light! Doesn't feel like it'll be very warm but guess that's part of the point.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...