Paramo for Aconcagua trek?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
greg.castaway 09 Dec 2012
Dear climbers/Trekkers

Planning a trek to Aconcagua in early jan, I have been a big fan of paramo gear for Scottish winter and used it once in NEw Zealand mount Cook (a wee bit warm)

What are people's thoughts on aspira jacket for top half?

I am planning on Patagonia Torres del Paine & Los glaciers thereafter but reckon I may go back to goretex / Maybe even paclight for there?

Thoughts suggestions advice most welcome! Also maybe looking for trekking partner?

Gregor
 Axel Smeets 09 Dec 2012
In reply to greg.castaway:

I summited Aconcagua in a Paramo Cascada jacket. No issues at all. With three layers underneath the jacket, I was warm at minus 20c in the early hours of summit day.
 peas65 09 Dec 2012

I used paramo on torres del paine circuit, we did it at end of nov and was bloody freezing, snowed most days with waist deep snow on the pass. Dont know how much warmer it will be in January, the wind is very cold.

Cant help you with the rest but considering how warm it is in mendoza in january, you would have to be pretty high on aconcagua to want to use a paramo jacket.
 Axel Smeets 09 Dec 2012

Just so you're aware, I had exceptionally good weather on Aconcagua (Dec/Jan) hence why I got away with wearing a Paramo jacket. I still took a down Jacket (PHD Garwahl) and needed it when hanging around camp. Whatever you do, don't go on Aconcagua without one. It often gets outrageously cold. The warm weather in Mendoza (see comment above) has absolutely no relevance to the micro-climate found on Aconcagua. It's 100 miles away and 3500m lower than Aconcagua's base camp for starters.
 peas65 09 Dec 2012
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Obviously! But if you read the post the are going for a trek around aconcagua not summiting the peak.

Axel Smeets 09 Dec 2012
In reply to peas65:

Aconcagua summit is a trek so I assumed the OP was planning on getting to the top!
 Andes 10 Dec 2012
In reply to peas65:

A: You can't "trek" around Aconcagua, at least not what I would describe as a trek. You either have to cross the north shoulder of the mountain itself at a height of about 5800m, or get through some complicated glaciated terrain around the Cerro Cupula area.

B: Many people do indeed refer to a summit attempt on Aconcagua as a trek, but that is a bit misleading to say the least. Aconcagua is a serious high altitude mountain and while it may only be a "walk" to reach the summit it is a walk that often requires crampons and an ice-axe. It is a "walk" for experienced mountaineers, it's not a walk for walkers!
 jonnie3430 10 Dec 2012

I really liked my Paramo Aspira, but like my Paramo Quito more for the same thing. It is lighter and better fitting. Less warm than the Aspira means that it is able to be used in warmer weather too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...