Buying static rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Watson 27 May 2012
Was looking at some static rope in a national retailer this afternoon. One of the staff asked me what I intended to use it for. I told him it was for abseiling and that I was looking at buying 50/60 metres. This drew an intake of breath from the said member of staff who then proceeded to tell me that legally he could not sell me more than a 10 m length; only the MoD were entitled to buy cut lengths more than 10 m long. Has anyone else heard of this?
 JayPee630 27 May 2012
In reply to Cerberus1956:

Spill the beans, what shop was it?! Comedy idiot shop assistant.
 Camm 27 May 2012
what the hell
In reply to Cerberus1956: WTF - it's rope not explosives!
OP Neil Watson 27 May 2012
In reply to JayPee630: OK, begins with G and ends with Outdoors. To be fair to the guy, he even admitted it sounded ludicrous.
> (In reply to JayPee630) = To be fair to the guy, he even admitted it sounded ludicrous.

that's because it is. I take it you told him he was talking out of his ass and will buy it from a shop that knows what they are selling!?
 DaveHK 27 May 2012

He probably regularly gets sent for 'tins of tartan paint' and 'left handed spanners' by his colleagues.
 muppetfilter 27 May 2012
In reply to Cerberus1956: Utter Nadgers, the entire rope access industry would be screwed if we could only buy 30ft lengths ;0)

The scary thing is this chap could be offering other such reliable technical advice on safety critical subjects...eeek !!!!
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to Cerberus1956)
>
> He probably regularly gets sent for 'tins of tartan paint' and 'left handed spanners' by his colleagues.

and a long stand and some glass nails!
 muppetfilter 27 May 2012
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Unfortunately the old sky hook jape would backfire in a climbing shop...
 lazzaw 27 May 2012
In reply to Cerberus1956: I shall email them and ask that they fire the irresponsible staff member who sold me 15 metres a couple of months ago.
 Oceanrower 27 May 2012
In reply to Cerberus1956: I've got about 200m in my workshop at the moment. Boy, am I in deep shit!
OP Neil Watson 28 May 2012
In reply to Oceanrower: Hope you have got 20 prospective purchasers.
 d_b 28 May 2012

Hitch n Hike sold me about 70m last year. The authorities have been informed.
> (In reply to Oceanrower) Hope you have got 20 prospective purchasers.

Wouldnt that be classed as "intent to supply"?
 cisco 28 May 2012

Virtually every climbing shop I know, ranging from Cotswold to NeedleSports sells the Beal Antipodes which is a 10.5 x 50 metre static abseil rope. Most also sell the same rope by the metre. I've just looked on the NeedleSport web site and they sell the 50 metre length, 200 metre reels, and cut lengths between 1 metre and 199 metres.
Wonko The Sane 28 May 2012
In reply to Cerberus1956: I bought 50m from Go Outdoors last year without this silliness. I'd not take it out on the shop because for a non specific shop I think they do a bloody good job of stocking climbing gear at decent prices, even better with their frequent sales.

Crap on bikes and bike equipment.... but then most stores are. And I mostly find the staff quite friendly and reasonably well trained.

Maybe they were taking the mickey out of this one and told him a load of bollocks as a bit of a joke.
 Camm 28 May 2012
Does sound like someone is taking the pee out of him. I have to agree go-outdoors generally have pretty decent stock at decent prices, I've probably spent over 1k with them so far this year (damn I should stop adding up)
 GrahamD 28 May 2012

Maybe they were just diplomatically trying to tell you that you shouldn't be trying abseiling at your age
OP Neil Watson 28 May 2012
In reply to GrahamD: Actually, I'm a liar it's not for abbing. My Stannah stair lift has broken and I need to set up a static line so I can get up the stairs ;-}

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...