Which Lightweight Mid Layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 21 Mar 2012
Hi,

Looking to change up my clothing system and ditch my ME Fitzroy for a lightweight down layer, which I would wear over a soft-shell or fleece (and under a shell if necessary) at stops / camps.

Mainly do walking / camping with a bit of climbing - this would only really be used for stops, maybe active use when really cold, but fat chance of that at the moment!!

Want something lightweight, warm and that packs down small - hence down.

Considering something like the Rab Microlight, or Patagonia Down Sweater.

Anyone have pros or cons of these, or any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance...
 Styx 21 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:

Patagonia Nano Puff, simples!

It's not down but frankly it's a bonus in the UK. It uses a lighter weight fill of Primaloft (60g vs 100g) so it weighs less, packs down smaller and is more versatile than the Fitzroy as an active layer.

It's one of the best bits of kit I own and it goes practically everywhere with me. Works great as a layer in cold weather or as a belay jacket/for stops.

If you want something warmer and absolutely must have down then the Patagonia Down Sweater is a sweet bit of kit too, just don't get it wet (as with all down).
 iksander 21 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch: Uniqlo Premium Down Ultra Light jacket or parka £60
OP MtnGeekUK 21 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:

Montane Prism any good?

SFM 22 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:

Yep very good, pretty trim fitting so if you are more boxy shaped might not be the best fit. Arms might be a tad short if you have a positive ape index. Hood rolls away very nicely. Warm for weight and not too bulky.
I've got mine for layering and use it over a Gamma or Driclime and under a Latok Alpine. Just check that the neck/zip does up over the jacket you'd be wearing though.

I'd think twice about down as it tends to compress too much under a shell and affect the warmth.
 SFM 22 Mar 2012
In reply to SFM:

Forgot to say that packs down to about a litre
 SFM 22 Mar 2012
In reply to iksander:

I was eyeing one of those up in the sale. You used one in anger? If so how does it perform?
benallan 22 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:

I have the Patagonia down sweater (bargin at £70 a few years ago in needlesports), I wear it daily and it has put up with climbing, walking, camping, biking, diy, gardening. The outer fabric, although thin, is really tough. The fill is really warm considering its size and weight - (it does take a few minutes to warm up so don't try it on and decide it isn't warm enough immediatley - it has to fill up with warm air before it works). I've worn it plenty of times in rain showers at belays, camp, in town and it doesn't saturate, it would need a good soaking before it was useless. A top bit of kit! (and I don't even work for Patagonia!)
 Nathan Adam 22 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch: Montane Prism is one of the best layers I've bought so far !

Base layer with a Rab Boreas pull on when its windy, and then when it gets super windy or stopping for lunch throw on the Prism and if it rains light put a soft shell on over that.

Find that 90% of the time you won't need a full blown GT waterproof unless it starts pouring and can get away with a super light, packable shell !

I've had the Prism drenched while caught in a shower walking the dog and found that although you can feel the wet through it, i.e uncomfortable, I never felt cold (the joys of primaloft)
 galpinos 22 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:

I pretty much live in these two tops:

TNF Zephryus – a 40g Primaloft One insulated windshirt. It’s always either on, or in my pack, feels a lot warmer than it looks like it would be and gets worn for everything from bouldering to Scottish winter. It also has a nice matt finish to the fabric. Win.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/jackets/shell-jackets---windproof/the-...
http://www.petesy.co.uk/the-north-face-zephyrus-quick-look/

The smock version of the Mountain Equipment Arete Jacket – A lightweight down smock designed as a mid-layer replacement (apparently). It’s too warm to move in but lovely for when stationary/hanging out in camp. Nothing really beats the feeling of a down top when you’re a little chilly, it’s like a mini portable duvet. This might be more what you’re after.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/arete_jack...
 iksander 22 Mar 2012
In reply to SFM: Wifey's got one. Good quality down, zip could be better but hasn't failed yet - overall good value.
 SFM 22 Mar 2012
In reply to iksander:

Cheers, more food for though!
 TobyA 22 Mar 2012
In reply to Styx: If you use it as mid layer, does it get sweaty at all? I found the Marmot variant does a bit: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4447

I saw TNF have got some new super techy midlayer made from some clever and very expensive wind-resistant fleece (all that fancy body mapping business!) because they say people have noticed sweat build up with using thin synthetic filled puffy jackets as mid-layers.
OP MtnGeekUK 23 Mar 2012
In reply to si_pritch:
Thanks for all the responses, looks like i need to go try some on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...