Belay jacket in drybag on harness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 30 Dec 2011
Was just looking through the top 10 pics this month and saw someone on central grooves carrying a pretty big drybag, which I assume contains a belay jacket.
I have done this before using a bag of similar size to stow my berghaus ignite jacket and found it got in the way and annoying while climbing as well as nearly losing it a couple of times.

So... what jacket would you recommend that is warm (enough), packs small, primaloft (or down if it will perform in the wet) and how to attach it without losing it mid chimney scrape. Is there a dry bag that will take a krab or something?
 conorcussell 30 Dec 2011
In reply to baileyswalk: Haglofs Barrier Zone Hoody packs down to about half the size of the one on the central grooves photo and has a loop to attach a crab on the stuff sack/pocket.

It is however, extremely hard to force back into its pocket with cold frozen hands. So it can fit into an XS (the green one) exped drybag instead.

Perfectly warm enough as a belay jacket i find.

Hope this helps.
OP baileyswalk 30 Dec 2011
In reply to baileyswalk:

Sounds good.

Must try to get a mini krab through the plastic sleeve clip when I get home, dont trust those bags upside down.

Anyone know how small the DAS parka compresses?
 iksander 30 Dec 2011
In reply to baileyswalk: A DAS parka "compresses" to the size of a largish pillow! Try a an alpine generator, or if you can stick the cold a primaloft vest for a really manageable size on the harness
 Ade7 30 Dec 2011
In reply to baileyswalk: I have seen an Alpkit Airlok XTra worn over the shoulder before http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16469&...
 jonnie3430 30 Dec 2011
In reply to baileyswalk:

I was given a 25 litre one of these: http://www.alpkit.com/gourdon for christmas which I will stuff my das, munchies, gloves, headtorch and drink into. (I really want to leave more behind but don't know what.) It's a bit bigger than I expected (I wanted the 20l, but they are out of stock and heavier,) but packs down plenty small. There are a few other models of small light bags by OMM and Osprey that would work too.

A camelbak without the bladder doesn't fit a Das, (I just tried,) but a rab generator fits fine.

I'm getting a Rab Xenon as another christmas present too, which will be tiny and fit nicely on my harness. (probably in a stuff sack as I like to stick chocolate or biscuits in there too.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...