NEW ROUTE CARD: Ben More and Stob Binnein

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stob Binnein from Stob Coire an Lochain, 3 kbBen More and Stob Binnein are a matched pair, suggestive grassy cones separated by a high cleavage-like bealach. These twins are giants of the Southern Highlands - go south from here and there's no higher ground in Britain. They are probably most often done from Benmore Farm, but the longer and more interesting circuit of Coire Chaorach is described here.

10.74 miles, 17.29 km, 1,515m ascent, 6 – 8 hours. Crianlarich (not really a 'town') or Killin

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=189
 JohnnyW 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Did the NE ridge approach to Ben More a few weeks ago, having done the two hills a good few times. Much more enjoyable than the trudge up from Benmore farm, which was our return route. I'll do the round of the Coire next time. Nice one Dan
In reply to JohnnyW: Cheers Johnny. I was in the cloud almost all day on Wednesday (except for a 10 sec clearing to take that photo) but still thought it was one of the best rounds I've done in that neck of the woods
 Milesy 18 Nov 2011

I really enjoy banging straight up the steep slopes from the farm rather than following the crowds to the bealach. It is a hard push, but it is normally quiet.
 JohnnyW 18 Nov 2011
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com)
>
> I really enjoy banging straight up the steep slopes from the farm rather than following the crowds to the bealach. It is a hard push, but it is normally quiet.

Masochist!
I hated it with a passion. Did it that way the first time I did it, fooled by the foreshortening. First time in crampons too. Sweat!?

I think its nicer from the south, Loch Voil is lovely in the Autumn and although its an out and back to Ben More, I think its more interesting from that direction.
 tom.fox 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Full moon addict: and you can stay at monachyle mhor if youre feeling flush!
 dmhigg 21 Nov 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Yup. Definitely the best way, although when I went that way I took a direct and steep way through the forest to hit the ridge: your way is better!

Having said that, the first time I went straight up from the farm on a snowy day. The crags ringing the summit were hoar covered, and looked like we were crossing a serac band. I have a photo which I still do a double take on. And the bumslide from the bealach was pretty good too!

Never found them suggestive, though. Been on your own in a tent too long?
In reply to dmhigg: It's just the way my mind works, sadly
 Scomuir 23 Nov 2011
An alternative way of making these hills more interesting?

youtube.com/watch?v=s6Fu7Tww4EI&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...