NEW ROUTE CARD: The Southern Carneddau

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Approaching Bwlch Cyfry Drum and Carnedd Llewelyn, 3 kbAnyone travelling through the Ogwen Valley for the first time would be forgiven for ignoring the huge grassy whalebacks which form the northern wall of this handsome defile. Indeed, with Tryfan’s striking good looks and the rock studded cwms of the Glyderau on display it’s little wonder that the Carneddau are shunned by those hankering after exciting scrambles and memorable days on classic rock routes. However, if it’s a superb walk in relative solitude you’re after then folk in the know will point you at those big old lumps where scenes of genuine grandeur can also be won, but unlike the cheap thrills of their Ogwen brethren, the secrets of the Carneddau must be earned. Spaciousness, fantastic views and an atmosphere of the ancient await you on this route which crosses some of the highest mountains in the principality.

8.70 miles, 14 km, 902m ascent, 6 – 8 hours. Bethesda, Capel Curig

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=137
mysterion 21 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

yes, if you want to grasp the layout of the carneddau then this is the walk to do, with plenty of opportunity to check out some great easy scrambles (crib lem ridge) and easy winter climbs (cwm lloer gullies) on the way round.
In reply to mysterion: You're right, it's a bloody good walk and the routes you mention really need to feel my boots/crampons on them again!
 Glyno 21 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

A classic walk, well described.

I must have done it almost a dozen times - if only that stretch of road walking could be avoided!
 Blodwyn 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: If you still have a little gas in the tank and sufficient daylight,and to avoid the road down from Llugwy. From Bwylch Eryl Farchog ascend the ridge to Pen yr Helgi Du, then descend along Y Braich (grassy paths)to the A5.
 Mike Nolan 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: Certainly a good route to briefly experience the solitude of the Carneddau. It's also worth a detour onto Yr Elen, which, from it's summit, gives pretty good views of the rest of the Carneddau range. I'd recommend coming off the East side of the path before the summit plateau of Carnedd Llwelyn (at around 975m) and following the contours until you meet the ridge which leads to Yr Elen, this will save you going up and down more than you need to!

Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...