Polartec wind pro vs power stretch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ok so Ive been looking at fleeces, what are the differences between powerstretch and windpro? Pros and cons of each?

Cheers Dunc
 LastBoyScout 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

I think the names might just give you the clue to the differences!

From Polartec's website:

Polartec® Wind Pro® fabrics are extremely breathable yet provide 4 times more wind resistance than traditional fleece. This is the new "super fleece" that spans an incredibly wide range of conditions; performs as both outerwear and insulation; and offers exceptional durability. This is a versatile fabric that can be worn all year long for a variety of activities, from watching an outdoor football game to snowshoeing.

Versus

Polartec® Power Stretch® fabrics feature body-hugging 4-way stretch and are very breathable. They keep you dry when you sweat and provide warmth without weight. These are the most versatile outdoor and fitness clothing fabrics available today. Many of the fabrics feature a proprietary construction with two unique surfaces: the durable, smooth outer layer is wind- and abrasion-resistant; the soft inner layer pulls moisture away from your skin keeping you dry, warm and comfortable. Other fabrics in the series feature compression stretch which can improve performance and reduces the chance of certain types of stop-go injuries. Climbing, running—even taking on an Ironman competition—are easier when your clothing doesn't inhibit freedom of movement.

More info at:
http://www.polartec.com/shelter/polartec-wind-pro/
and
http://www.polartec.com/comfort/polartec-power-stretch/
Removed User 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: Essentially it's all the same old shit i.e. a plastic bag sewn in the liner.
 Timmd 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User:Nope, both are breathable.
 Robert Durran 13 Aug 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to Duncan Campbell)

> Polartec® Power Stretch® fabrics feature body-hugging 4-way stretch...

I take that to mean they stretch in time as well as space. Radical!
In reply to LastBoyScout: Yeah read that, it seems that powerstretch is just stretchy windpro? are the the same thickness?
 Skyfall 13 Aug 2011

No they're not the same at all. Windpro is windproof, whereas powerstretch isn't windproof at all. However, powerstretch is incredibly warm and you wear it quite tight. I suppose it's horses for courses but I've been wearing the same powerstretch top for years (almost 10 I'd guess?) as the best winter/cold weather 'fleece' I've come across wheres none of the windproof fleece types have ever impressed me much (and I do own at least one, maybe two!).
In reply to JonC: Oh ok, ive been looking for a powerstretch hoody for ages but came across a Rab Windpro one that was reduced making it cheaper than an ME hoody and was wondering what the actual differences in the two fleece materials are as on the polartec website the same things are basically said about every material : "light, breathable stretchy, repels wind and rain" and I was just mega confused, not overly bothered about full windproofness, as I wear a windproof if its windy... hmmm

Dunc
 Skyfall 13 Aug 2011

I could be wrong but I think Windpro is a fairly normal windproof fleece material. They tend to be a bit chunky and never, to me, feel all that warm. I think I'd always have to wear a fairly hefty base under it. I tend to think of it as a dry weather outer layer, but personally I'd go for a real soft-shell outer.

Power stretch is more of a mid layer I suppose but v warm and incredibly durable. Worn quite tight and it's very stretchy. Very tight weave so it is a bit wind resistant and feels more so just because it's so warm. Superb for cragging in the cold and as a winter climbing mid layer. Powerstretch leggings are also the dogs in winter. I have three bits of powerstretch
clothing, all of which is almost 10 years old, and it's only the leggings which have suffered (crampons etc). The rest looks virtually new.

I'm not sure why powerstretch never quite took off as much as it might have. I suspect it's because of the craze for soft shells made people look for windproof tops and powerstretch isn't. But it's only in the most windy conditions you'd need to put something wind and/or showerproof on top.

I'm not on commission reallty....
 Robert Durran 13 Aug 2011

I think powerstrtetch is almost miraculous and I simply cannot fault it. For its weight it offers more warmth, water resistance and wind resistance than anything else I have ever come across. It seems to retain its insulation properties remarkably well when damp and then dries incredibly quickly. Of course you still need a shell when it is raining, but, for me, a powerstretch/light shell combination is always going to outperform and be more versatile than any of this soft shell fad stuff.
 Timmd 13 Aug 2011
In reply to JonC:Apologies to Hardonicus if I was wrong about him being wrong about one of the fabrics.

I found the powerstretch cuffs on my Mountain Equipment ultrafleece fleece held water when it got wet through once, i'd left it drying on the boiler, the cuffs were still wet when the rest had dried.

Cheers
Tim
 cliff shasby 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: powerstretch is very cozy for its bulk and usually close fitting and wont interfere when climbing,windpro is clunky/with a carboard feel and is like a fleece with a crisp packet sewn in the lining usually looser fit and altogether crap..
if you want to be windproof put a shell on...
cheers cliff...
 TobyA 14 Aug 2011
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to JonC)Apologies to Hardonicus if I was wrong about him being wrong about one of the fabrics.

Nope, you weren't wrong. Hardonicus was talking crap I'm afraid!

Windpro is basically just very tightly woven making it pretty wind resistant - maybe not pertex windproof but getting there. There is no membrane involved like on the old rubbish windproof fleece. It is totally breathable, just as breathable as Power Stretch.

I think Power Stretch is great stuff as well and has a bit more windproofing to it than you might expect - but not nearly like Windpro.

Duncan - you mentioned the RAB windpro hoody - the Shadow. I reviewed one for UKC here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2685 In some ways it is great and I use it loads - really does cut the wind but is completely breathable. But I'm afraid to say I've been unimpressed with the finishing quality on some of the RAB gear I've reviewed for UKC. It's always just little things (see the review) but if you just paid 100 quid for something you don't expect to need to get the needle and thread out after the first few days of use. I've also had things like the plastic toggles quickly fall off draw cords on a duvet. Again, not the end of the world but it has never happened on other brands gear. But beside those annoyances, the Shadow is great.
 TobyA 14 Aug 2011
In reply to cliff shasby:
> windpro is clunky/with a carboard feel and is like a fleece with a crisp packet sewn in the lining usually looser fit and altogether crap..

No. That's the old "Windstopper" fleece. Windpro is totally different.
 KiwiPrincess 15 Aug 2011
I wear powerstretch leggings Winter running, biking. or under my Overtrou iceclimbing, as you don't feel damp at all when you sweat in them. Not windproof but I rate them as a thick thermal

ice.solo 15 Aug 2011

powerstretch is fleece. no wind stoppping capacity.

windpro is fleece with a tight woven outer facing. not softshell, but half way there.

powerstretch is great as a baselayer or mid layer.
windpro is great as an outer layer for high output activity where weather proofing is second to breathability in priority.

ive been working with polartech the last year or so.
expect new stuff soon.
 thedatastream 15 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> Duncan - you mentioned the RAB windpro hoody - the Shadow.

I love my Shadow Hoodie, best item of outdoor clothing I've bought. Not the warmest when you are just sat around but the windproof-ness more than makes up for it. Well cut, quite breathable, very windproof. Great mid layer for winter, especially when you put the hood under your helmet to form a windprof barrier around your neck - no scarf required! Stitching seems to be holding up well after a year of use. Doesn't look too shabby down the pub either

My main problem is my friend has bought an identical one now. I would buy another one of these because when mine breaks Rab will have stopped making them knowing my luck

Only downside: the snug fit means putting stuff in the pockets makes you look like you have funny shaped moobs :/

J
 Skyfall 15 Aug 2011

Yes, the other thing is that powerstretch is almost as warm when it's wet. It does dry a little more slowly than a simple fleece but in action that's not normally a problem as it keeps you warm anyway.
 Tamati 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Duncan Campbell) Essentially it's all the same old shit i.e. a plastic bag sewn in the liner.

Completely false.
 nufkin 15 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to cliff shasby)
> [...]
>
> No. That's the old "Windstopper" fleece. Windpro is totally different.

For pedantry points, and if anyone cares, Polartec's windproof fleece is 'WindBloc', 'Windstopper' is from GoreTex.

I find Powerstretch cuts wind quite well for a non-windproof fleece. I think Polartec make several different versions, mind, so I suppose some are better at it than others.
 TobyA 15 Aug 2011
In reply to nufkin:

> For pedantry points, and if anyone cares, Polartec's windproof fleece is 'WindBloc', 'Windstopper' is from GoreTex.

I'll see your pedantry and raise you. Please see for example: http://tinyurl.com/3fjmgt5 And what Gore now market as Windstopper (not a fleece) used to be called Activent, and windstopper was a membrane added to fleece.

> I find Powerstretch cuts wind quite well for a non-windproof fleece. I think Polartec make several different versions, mind, so I suppose some are better at it than others.

Agree with this, it must be something about the knit of Powerstretch that makes it more wind resistant than for example the furry 'hi-loft' fleece.
 AndyC 15 Aug 2011
> (In reply to JonC) Oh ok, ive been looking for a powerstretch hoody for ages

Bought a Rab Powerstretch Hoody online from Snow and Rock last month, 45 quid! Unfortunately, looks like they're sold out now.

nufkin 15 Aug 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to nufkin)
> windstopper was a membrane added to fleece.

And not a very warm fleece, either - my ME Guide gillet is mostly just use it for posing purposes now...
 iksander 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: Also worth noting that there are (at least) two different sorts of powerstretch - one is polyester plus elastane, the other polyester, polyamide and elastane. The second is more durable (less pills and pulls) and I'd say more weather resistant thanks to a more shear surface than the all-polyester stuff, pretty close weather-proofness to windpro, which is still hardly windproof. But as we know, that's a good thing when you're hot and sweaty.

There's also an older version of windpro that was like a yucky matted felt stuff (used by Timberland, Berghaus etc.) , what you want mate is (trumpets please...) "windpro stretch with hardface technology" - which is the stuff Rab use for their Phantom and Shadow stuff. Very good, bit bulkier and less stretchy than powerstretch, and as previously mentioned just a *smidge* more windproof than then polyamide flavour of powerstretch.

The trick with any of this stretchy fleece stuff is the wetsuit effect, eg. to wear it so tight that you'd be embarrassed to wear it anywhere other than the hills
In reply to TobyA:

> And what Gore now market as Windstopper (not a fleece) used to be called Activent, and windstopper was a membrane added to fleece.

Just to further the pedantry, and let you all off, Gore keep dicking about with their product names, and what they're applied to. Windstopper is a range of fabrics, which include both fleece-style and shell-style fabrics.

Confused? I don't blame you...

WindPro is a dense fleece fabric, which is how the wind resistance is achieved. A bit like Ultrafleece/Karisma.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...