Frosterley, weardale, teesdale ice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 01 Dec 2010
Anyone know of any good ice forming in Frosterley, Weardale, Teesdale area?

Last year we had some great fun here...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=54.7096...

dozens of 15m high lines with everything from grade 1 to impossible mixed stuff.

But I don't think there has been enough freeze thaw to get it in good condition yet, anyone local want to check it out or offer any other suggestions?
In reply to ablackett: the crag where you were climbing doesn't require freeze thaw as its in a constant state of drainage. i Suspect ice will now be forming and by the weekend there should be decent ice to top rope.
 Cliff Lowther 01 Dec 2010
In reply to ablackett: Usually needs 5 constant days below zero...which we've had....However, the roads will be horrendous...Good luck and let us know how you get on

Cliff
onemanmows 01 Dec 2010
In reply to ablackett:

Some of the little known North Pennine roadside ice.

Ord and Madison Quarry Middleton - no official access but simillar short and steep. Opp the council depot on the B6277. Main ice fall is at the eastern end.

Harthope - at about 630m, the summit, on the Langdon Beck - St John's road. Not likely to be cleared in a hurry and so will need a bit of walk in. Prob best from the North.

Ashgill nr Alston on the B6277 - never seen it frozen but if the temps do plummet there's a waterfall under the bridge.

Gibsons Cave at Bowlees - short pillar of ice.

Right handside of High Force has been climbed. Never heard of the main fall being done but have seen it almost frozen solid.

Slightly more remote - white force near Cronkley Fell
 wmcoombs 02 Dec 2010
In reply to Cliff Lowther:

Made the trip from Durham to the Quarry on Tuesday eve. The roads were okay but I did have to stop to put the chains on once off the "main" roads.

There was a lot of ice that had rotten and fallen off in piles at the base of the quarry and a fair amount of water running behind the ice. I think it needs to get quite a bit colder to come into condition.
OP ablackett 03 Dec 2010
In reply to onemanmows:
> (In reply to ablackett)
>
> Some of the little known North Pennine roadside ice.
>
> Ord and Madison Quarry Middleton - no official access but simillar short and steep. Opp the council depot on the B6277. Main ice fall is at the eastern end.
>

Just looked this up and it is a SSSI, probably not a good idea to climb there.

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1000391.pdf

coinneach 03 Dec 2010
In reply to onemanmows:

Ashgill froze last winter.............early January.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...