Lawrencefield 30th/31st October - not available for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Becky E 15 Oct 2010
The Peak Climbing Club, in conjunction with the National Trust and BMC, will be doing some work at Lawrencefield on the weekend of 30th/31st October. Consequently the main area around the pool and Red Wall will not be available for climbing. The Roadside Bay will not be affected and will still be "open".

We expect that most of the work will take place on the Sunday, but some will also happen on the Saturday. If these plans change then I will re-post on here.

The work will include a professional tree surgeon removing trees from the crag itself, and club members helping to remove the debris. For their own safety we are asking climbers and walkers keep out of the way.

To avoid disappointment, please don't plan to climb at Lawrencefield that weekend.

Please note this is NOT a request for help. We have plenty of members to do the job - we just don't want people to travel a long way and be disappointed!

Happy climbing.

Becky and the PCC.
OP Becky E 23 Oct 2010
In reply to Becky E (PCC): bump
OP Becky E 24 Oct 2010
In reply to Becky E (PCC): Sunday bump
 EeeByGum 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Becky E (PCC): It might be worth posting this in the Rocktalk forum so that people who don't look at the BMC forum see it as well.
 catt 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Becky E (PCC):

What trees were removed and why?
In reply to catt:

non so far... its next weekend
 Martyn Maltby 25 Oct 2010

Will this affect Three Tree Climb?
In reply to Martyn Maltby:

you mean 2 tree climb or has no one told you.
OP Becky E 25 Oct 2010
In reply to Martyn Maltby: No - we're not that stupid. But we will be tackling the sycamore on Pool Wall, plus others.
OP Becky E 25 Oct 2010
In reply to EeeByGum: Thanks for the suggestion. I just did, but it disappeared shortly after.... presumably because of duplication?!?!
 Simon 25 Oct 2010

Hope you have a productive weekend with your team Becky & thank you in advance for all your teams hard work - its much appreciated.

It's good to give a head's up to people that post / lurk on here, but I would bet that you will still encounter people arriving to climb that don't, and may wish to climb.

If that is the case I'm sure you will be able to explain what is happening & some might want to climb or help etc.

I would come over if I could but am away unfortunately - but will be interested in your work & hope you all have a good day.

Thanks again

Simon Jacques
BMC Peak Access Representative
 Jonny2vests 26 Oct 2010
> (In reply to Martyn Maltby) No - we're not that stupid. But we will be tackling the sycamore on Pool Wall, plus others.

Good effort. That Sycamore is getting out of hand.

Clauso 26 Oct 2010
In reply to jonny2vests:
>
> ... That Sycamore is getting out of hand.

Trees with attitude problems, huh? They need cutting down to size

OP Becky E 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Simon:
Warning/explanation notices went up around the crag and on the approach paths last weekend, and we will put some more up at the Surprise View car park. We really don't want people climbing at the crag when we are doing the work: it simply won't be safe. They can still climb in the Roadside bay. Hope this doesn't annoy too many people, but it's only for one day and should improve things for their next visit!
 Chris the Tall 26 Oct 2010
Just direct people down to Yarncliffe, so they can enjoy the fruits of the work you did last year !

What do you do with the logs ?
OP Becky E 26 Oct 2010
In reply to Chris the Tall: We're heading back to Yarncliffe later this year to finish off. The logs got taken away to fuel the NT's heating system I think, and the brushwood went in "habitat piles". It will be a bigger job this year.
 toad 27 Oct 2010
In reply to Becky E (PCC): bump for this in the light of the freshers meet thread
OP Becky E 29 Oct 2010
In reply to toad:

Thanks. I will have a wander round to them tomorrow when the coast is clear. It's really only Sunday that will be the problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...