Rjukan 'V' Fortwilliam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Myself and my mate have a choice to make for our climbing plans this weekend, either a trip to Rjukan or a trip to Fortwilliam.

The trip to Rjukan will cost us bout 450euro, while the fortwilliam trip will cost bout 320euro,these prices include all travel,car&petrol, food & accomadation for 5 days... boat for scotland leaves fri as does the plane to Oslo. so we'll be climbing sat-tues

Now we are not sure what to pick, guaranteed conditions and easily accessible falls in Rjukan were we can improve our technique or the less accessible hardship of Scotland,with good long mountain days,which we probably prefer....and of course the conditions in fortwilliam/glencoe may not be ideal this weekend, or will they? Actually its really the last question im getting at here

Oh yeah the reason i mentioned the price difference, despite it only being 130euro in favour of scotland, is that its important cos im back in college,so im poor, and the other fella is just a bit tight i think.so it plays a factor too

where would you go?
 David Hooper 19 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn:
If you work it out at metres of climbing per euro, then Rjukan with its ease of access and reliability will be the best value.
However - we all dream of climbing those Scottish Cold Climbs classics with a high pressure system in place under impossibly blue skies. In those conditions - Scotland is the best place in the world.

Difficult call, I think you have to follow your heart really.

Rjukan is an excellent safe bet, but after 3 seasons there, Im heading back to Scotland for a few trips this winter.

I hope the ice gods smile on you whatever you decide.
 Jim Fraser 19 Jan 2010

Several ice gods are smiling.

http://www.kintailmrt.org.uk/reports.htm

Jim Fraser 19 Jan 2010

Minus 3 in some places now. More snow due on the hill this week, particularly on Thursday.
 newhey 19 Jan 2010

I quite like Fort William, but I also quite Rjukan. But which one is better, only one way to find out...

FIGHT
 Mike Pescod 19 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: It's a no brainer ... Fort William every time! It's not The Outdoor Capital of the UK for nothing!

We have great snow cover and plenty of ice higher up. Those long mountaineering days will be great at the weekend and there will be some harder ice climbs for you as well.

I freely admit to being biased!

Mike
 Chris F 19 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: Are you more interested in ice cragging or big mountain routes? This is what should dictate your preference.
 David Hooper 19 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris F:

Plenty of big mountain routes in Rjukan and around
 Chris F 19 Jan 2010
In reply to David Hooper: I knew as soon as I posted that someone would trot that out. There are but very few folk who go to Rjukan climbing them. I don't know of any.
Ian Black 19 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris F:
> (In reply to David Hooper) I knew as soon as I posted that someone would trot that out. There are but very few folk who go to Rjukan climbing them. I don't know of any.

They seem to get neglected. Did Fabrikfossen early on one season. I think we were the first up it that year. Would love to do the Gausta marathon, just for the sheer length of it.

abr1966 19 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: Ben Fongs takeaway after a night in the Grog chasing some fort william lassies....there's only one choice!
 David Hooper 19 Jan 2010
In reply to Chris F: I like the long routes, Bolgen probably been my longest so far (the guidebook 4 pitch description is a sandbag - its closer to 6-8 ) and I would love a crack at Gaustamarathon.
 JimLake 19 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: If its ice your after its a no brainer go to Rjukan !
 WILLS 20 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: LMAO Ben Fong's.
I think Norway is a safe bet. Just keep away from the top roping masses at ozzimosis and krokan and you'll have a fab time. Plus the leisure centre is brill after a hard day. Soaking in the hot tub surrounded by ice and snow
 MouseHunter 20 Jan 2010

Rjukan for ice.
Scotland for mixed/.
 Misha 20 Jan 2010

Was going to organise a club trip to Arolla/Zinal this season (been to Rjukan and Cogne in the past) but decided to go for Scotland instead as conditions should be very good later this season (and sounds like they're not too bad at the moment either). Doing classic big routes in Scotland is more appealing than doing ice routes which I've never heard about before. Continental ice falls might be quite good, perhaps even classics in their own right, but for a climber based in the British Islands local classics will surely take precedence? Still, if you're looking to improve your steep ice technique on accessible single pitch or short multi pitch routes, Rjukan is the place to go.
 MttSnr 20 Jan 2010
In reply to deiric_oheathirn: Im in FW atm. The snow we had a few weeks ago was massive and there's still plenty of it left high up. I've climbed aonoch mor and stob corrie an lochan - both in reasonable (but not great) nick. However the recent thaw has helped consolidate the snow pack and all we need now are some colder temperatures to firm it up. Prediction for today is freezing level at 350m and -3 at 900m, so that may now have arrived.
Point is you never know with FW. I had a very disappointing tripin Feb last year. However the signs atm are good. Wherever you go, gl & hf.
 John Workman 20 Jan 2010
The weather could be a factor? Scotland is magic but less so when the gales and rain come along. Forecast as far as the w/e is looking good though.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2198?area=Fort%20William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...