Opinions on head torches and sleepingbags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
coombsfh 15 Sep 2009
I am off to South Africa at Christmas and Easter to see my girlfriend. She is staying at a research station in the middle of nowhere (nearest civilisation is Springbok). I asked the other day in my weekly email what I would need to take. The 2 main things I don't have are a head torch; needed for avoiding snakes and so forth at night and a sleeping bag; needed for being comfortable at night.

Firstly I will address the head torch. I have considered a zebralight H60 (simply because I have the rechargeable 18650 cells from another torch) and it has a reputation for being bulletproof and is a little bit different to the norm. It is widely available on eBay etc http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=...

The second consideration is the Mammut lucido x-Zoom. It has won awards for how good it is, runs on AA's and is not regulated (i.e. runs for longer but doesn't produce a consistent output). The only issue with the mammut is that it is hard to get hold of and you don't get much change from £100! http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Mammut_Equipment.html

The third consideration is one of the petzl tikka range which I have not had looked at closely/first hand.

Now it comes to the sleeping bag question. I am bewildered by the range or synthetic and non synthetic, temp ranges, gimmicks and so forth.

I hope the following criteria help someone who is clued up to recommend a bag for the job.
-I am 6'2"
-The temperature regularly drops below 0 and we only sleep in little un-insulated wendy houses
-I sleep particularly hot (no duvet in summer, just sheets)
-I have a budged of £150

Hope someone can help with either or both my queries.

Fred
 The New NickB 15 Sep 2009
In reply to coombsfh:

The standard answer here is to have a look at www.alpkit.com

They do a great little AAA based headtorch called the Gamma for less than £15 and a range of down sleeping bags at budget prices.
In reply to coombsfh:
get the zebralight. I have a 30 and its a perfect camping / backup (for caving) light
 cas smerdon 15 Sep 2009
In reply to The New NickB: I have alpkit headtorch and down sleeping bag. Sleeping bag comes in 3 lengths. Recommend both.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...