Ice climbing in Val d'Isere / Tignes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Paul Sanday 10 Jan 2003
Does anyone know where iI can get hold of an guidebook for climbing the Ice Falls around the Tignes / Val d'Isere Area. Not overly fussed if its in French or English but wouldn't mind trying to get one before I head out. I'm going at End of Jan for some skiing and throwing the climbing gear in aswell.....just in case!!!!

If not anyone know any routes / grades / locations its my first time to the area, and preferably none of the extreme ice grades, i'm not that hard!!!!

Cheers
Andrew Murphy 10 Jan 2003
In reply to Paul Sanday:
In Tignes Le Lavachet there is a 'manufactured' climbers ice fall (opposite Harry's Bar!)
OP Vince 10 Jan 2003
In reply to Paul Sanday:

Or you can try the icefall at " la Daille " 200m grade 2+ above the tunnel coming into Val D'Isere. There are some mixed routes across the road opposite the ice fall.

Or you can try a local guide called jean philippe

email:

zavatte@club-internet.fr

Vince
OP Paul Sanday 10 Jan 2003
In reply to Vince:

Cheers for that info.

How did you find out about the icefall and its grade, was it a mate or did you hire a guide?? Can't find an english guide to the area you see, and at the moment i'm just assuming that i can find one in Val!!

Paul
OP Henkka 10 Jan 2003
In reply to Paul Sanday:

Don't know but there seems to be some itenaries in that area. Go and have a look at http://alpinisme.camptocamp.com/guide.html?reason=cbrowse&creg=12 sadly it's in french.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Henkka
OP AD the guide 10 Jan 2003
In reply to Paul Sanday:
take me Ill be ur guide...point me in the direction of ice and ill guide u up it!!!!!

plus im cheap, i just charge travell expenses!!!!!

cp 11 Jan 2003
In reply to AD the guide:

We don't need guide's come up to the lakes one weekend and we'll teach you to climb !!

grade IV new route today !!
North Col 12 Jan 2003
In reply to Paul Sanday:
> Does anyone know where iI can get hold of an guidebook for climbing the Ice Falls around the Tignes / Val d'Isere Area. Not overly fussed if its in French or English but wouldn't mind trying to get one before I head out. I'm going at End of Jan for some skiing and throwing the climbing gear in aswell.....just in case!!!!
>
> If not anyone know any routes / grades / locations its my first time to the area, and preferably none of the extreme ice grades, i'm not that hard!!!!
>
> Cheers

Hi Paul

As others have mentioned, the Cascade de Daile is handy, equipped with belay stations and right by the road. Even more amazing, it's floodlit after dark, so you could even climb it in the evening! (Only in France...) If you want to see a selection of pics of the cascade (in daylight conditions) check out:

http://guide-montagne.com/excascadedaille.htm
OP Anonymous 12 Jan 2003
In reply to North Col:

Also check out the following for a cascade not far off Val d'Isere

http://guide-montagne.com/excascadebonneval.htm
OP Paul Sanday 12 Jan 2003
In reply to North Col:

Cheers for that, i'm sharpening my tools ready to go!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...