silk or cotton sleepingbag liner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broccoligirl 11 Jun 2008
Hey all

I'm off to buy one today- any recommednations either way? I assume silk is more compressible...
In reply to broccoligirl: seem to stay cooler with silk.
 DaveWarb 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl: Silk is much smaller and i believe it is warmer as well. I have both and use them together as a summer bag.
OP broccoligirl 11 Jun 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> (In reply to broccoligirl) seem to stay cooler with silk.

Hmmm, thanks G! Am kinda amazed to have gotten a serious answer.
dafydd64 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl: why have cotton when you can have........
 Little Brew 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl: silk is warmer apparently, lighter and feels so slinky getting in to it.

i have a Cacoon cotton one i have used for years, used so much i have washed it back to white from cream! but it is brill, if it is hot i just use the liner, saves the bag wear too!

personaly i would go for cotton, but as i say it is personal preferance.

Jess.x
 cathsullivan 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl:

Silk, definitely.
Hjonesy 11 Jun 2008

Another vote for silk. Not only does it pack down a bit smaller but it keeps you nice and toasty without making you dead sweaty like a cotton one can do. A bit like the difference between wearing a merino t-shirt and wearing a cotton one.

Keeps you cool when you need to be and keeps you warm when you need to be.
 CarolineMc 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl: I used to have a cotton one which was really nice. Then I got a silk one and I haven't used the cotton one since! That was about 3 years ago. Get the silk - it's worth the money.It's also surprisingly cosy, so in the summer it might be all you need. C-:
 TeaGirl 11 Jun 2008

Silk. No comparison.
 CJD 11 Jun 2008

silk for me - and decathlon sell cheap and cheerful ones (well, £20), if that helps?
 practicalcat 11 Jun 2008
I use a silk one and it is great. I don't have a car so always have a preference for the choice that takes up less room in my rucksack and weighs less. Silk dries more quickly, too.
 Trangia 11 Jun 2008

Another vote for silk. The one and only advantage cotten has over silk is price, and the benefits of silk outstrips that extra easily.

Silk it is! Huzzah. Thanks oh wise and helpful UKC!
 obi-wan nick b 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Little Brew:
> ...saves the bag wear too!

Really!
In reply to broccoligirl: Oooooooh, oh, oh - a big up for cotton (cos everyone else is saying silk).
 Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2008

I have both and use both.
You can get a cotton one for about £6 these days. My particular cotton one is roomier than my silk one.
My silk liner is however my favourite single piece of "outdoorsy" kit in terms of usefulness.
 David Hooper 11 Jun 2008
Silk - but get a rectangular one - not a mummy shaped one - its useful to have the bit of extra legroom in the summer if you want to sprawl.
 Owen W-G 11 Jun 2008

Silk, no contest.
 naine 11 Jun 2008
not silk, mine sort of dissolved after extensive use over a couple of months, while my haglofs dryskin liner survived so far. just as small as silk, but stronger.
 Bonkers Dog 11 Jun 2008

silk. search for "jagbags".
In reply to broccoligirl: Cotton is lovely and soft and not from the bum of an insect.
 cathsullivan 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Bonkers Dog:
> (In reply to broccoligirl)
>
> silk. search for "jagbags".

I suspect this is a trick. It sounds very rude.
 Bonkers Dog 11 Jun 2008
In reply to cathsullivan:
> (In reply to Bonkers Dog)
> [...]
>
> I suspect this is a trick. It sounds very rude.

No, not at all. They're a NZ company that make them and they're pretty cheap. I love mine.

Cheers,
BD.

In reply to Bonkers Dog:
> (In reply to cathsullivan)
> [...]
>
> No, not at all. They're a NZ company that make them and they're pretty cheap. I love mine.
>
> Cheers,
> BD.

They look really good but I need one for my trip, leaving on Friday! Decathlon it is then...
 nz Cragrat 11 Jun 2008

Dunno how you could consider a cotton one really - fine if weight and space are no object ie travelling with a wheelie bin

In reply to nz Cragrat:
>
> Dunno how you could consider a cotton one really - fine if weight and space are no object ie travelling with a wheelie bin

You haven't seen the size of my travel 'pack'. Tis the size of a small hippo. I nearly go backwards like a turtle in it.
 nz Cragrat 11 Jun 2008
bigger than you eh?
 danj1974 11 Jun 2008

The only disadvantage I've found with a silk liner (a recent purchase for me) is when staying in mountain refuges on the continent you don't get as much protection from those ultra-scratchy blankets they tend to use. You're probably made of sterner stuff than me though....
In reply to danj1974:
>
> The only disadvantage I've found with a silk liner (a recent purchase for me) is when staying in mountain refuges on the continent you don't get as much protection from those ultra-scratchy blankets they tend to use. You're probably made of sterner stuff than me though....

Sterner stuff? I doubt it. I take a travel pillow with me when I go away if there is room

In reply to nz Cragrat:
> bigger than you eh?

Yes, I am a teeny hippo.

sasmojo 11 Jun 2008
In reply to broccoligirl: silk, less smelly, smaller pack size, transfers heat and moisture better and does seem to tangle as easily as cotton.
 sasmojo 11 Jun 2008
In reply to sasmojo: doesn't, even
In reply to sasmojo: make up your mind - you've just cost me a tenner!

I'll be round to collect the money!

sasmojo 11 Jun 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: I'll get the coffee on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...