Good reasons to call out Mountain Rescue…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Hannah 18 Jan 2008

1) My pushchair is stuck,
2) I’m tired and fed up,
3) I need a helicopter because I am late for a dinner party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7195365.stm
In reply to Rob Hannah: It's rediculous. I feel for mountain rescue.
 Mike Peacock 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Rob Hannah: Not surprising. I keep tabs on Ogwen MR's callouts as they're the team nearest here. Lots of them are just because people get benighted and don't carry torches, and other stupid things.

A few examples:
"The casualty had set off from Capel Curig in the early afternoon to find a good viewpoint from which to paint Llyn Crafnant. On his return he became confused in the rocky bluffs below the Crimpiau and as darkness fell he became trapped between a crag and a river. Although he could see the lights of Capel Curig he had lost the confidence to continue in the dark, so called his wife and 999. The Team spotted his torch from the roadside and quickly extricated him from his location. Tea and the warmth of Base soon revived him."

"The couple were planning to climb the North ridge of Tryfan, but had no knowledge of the route or where it started. They parked at the walled carpark and started to ascend the area under the West face. At some point they could see across to the Canon rock on the North Ridge and decided to climb a gully line to reach it. They ascended the gully which became progressively steeper and more slippery, until they could neither go up nor down. They were both in precarious positions but managed to ring 999. 22Sqn were initially operational elsewhere so NW1 were asked to assist, whilst a hill party set off on foot. NW1 were unable to reach the pair, and when 22 Sqn arrived it was decided that they would have to be moved to a better area for winching. The hill party secured the casualties and then roped them up the gully to better ground. 22 Sqn then winched the pair and flew them to Oggie Base. Both casualties felt that they would not have been able to hold on for much longer, and both realised the serious implication of a fall from their position. A very lucky pair."
 JDDD 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Rob Hannah:
>
> 3) I need a helicopter because I am late for a dinner party.

An example of quality news reporting. An interview with a chap from the Keswick team this morning said that this call was made 10 years ago. This story comes up from time to time because it is amusing in a "doesn't do anyone any harm" kind of way. The problem is that the serious issue of lack of funding / volenteers who can afford time off is always forgotton.

Capt. Speaking 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Rob Hannah:
>
> 1) My pushchair is stuck,
> 2) I’m tired and fed up,
> 3) I need a helicopter because I am late for a dinner party.
>
Well, if they want the service for such ridiculous reasons, sent out a commercially chartered helicopter and bill them for it.
rich 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Touching Centauri: i'm not the one having to sort these people out (although i'm sure i'd be happy if i lived round there) but, personally, i'm happy that people are allowed to do "stupid things" in our mountains
 Mike Peacock 18 Jan 2008
In reply to rich: Yes I am too. I'm glad people can make mistakes which don't then have to be fatal!

But people need to take responsibility for themselves. Carrying a torch is a simple thing to do, same for taking a whistle, a survival bag.
Anonymous 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Rob Hannah:

it's a shame they aren't giving publicity to the road-tax clobbering MRTs are having over their need for 4x4 vehicles, because technically they are not ambulances
 Caralynh 18 Jan 2008
In reply to rich:

I quite agree! I don't think the news angle is particularly helpful, coming across almost as "MR hate hikers" or "people should have to pass a competence test before being let out". Of course some teams get frustrated at having to rescue people in the same situation over and over again, but I don't know of any team members who would want to ban people from getting out and learning from mistakes.
 Rob Naylor 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Rob Hannah:

Well the "late for a dinner party" one is at least 10 years old. It's in my Wasdale MRT booklet from 1997. So hardly the "news" that the BBC were making it out to be.
 Rob Naylor 18 Jan 2008
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to Rob Hannah)
> [...]
>
> An example of quality news reporting. An interview with a chap from the Keswick team this morning said that this call was made 10 years ago. This story comes up from time to time because it is amusing in a "doesn't do anyone any harm" kind of way. The problem is that the serious issue of lack of funding / volenteers who can afford time off is always forgotton.

Didn't see that before posting mine...sorry!

But it was definitely the Wasdale Team who had the "callout" on that one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...