Who says climbing in the mountains is dead?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 07 Aug 2006
Just back from a stonker weekend in the Cairngorms. Did Steeple on Shelterstone on Saturday and Magic Crack and Fingers Ridge Direct on Sunday.

There were nine parties on Shelterstone on Sat (including some very interesting antics off somebody jumaring up the Needle) and five parties as far as I can see on Hell's Lum. On Sunday there were three Parties in Coire an-t Sneachda).

Climbing in the mountains is alive and kicking!
OP Otti 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:

Yeah, quite busy in the 'gorms this weekend. I also saw the jumaring and was wondering what was going on...
Went to the Dubh Loch to do Pink Elephant on Sunday, but was a bit drizzly.
 bob champion 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:

It's only quiet when it's pouring with rain!

Did you get my email?

Bob
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to bob champion:
> (In reply to Heike)
>
> It's only quiet when it's pouring with rain!
>
Indeed, indeed!

> Did you get my email?
>

Yes, just replied!

> Bob

Norrie Muir 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
(including some very interesting antics off somebody jumaring up the Needle)

Dear Heike

Winter training.

Norrie
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Good point,
was it you then, Norrie, getting your training in early?
 bob champion 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:

I'll remember the jumaring when I can't get up the pitch.

Bob
 CurlyStevo 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
yup it was a good weekend.

We got the following done:
Talisman
Scabbard
Grey Slab
Crystal Ridge
Auld Nick
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Nice one, loads of stars there!
 CurlyStevo 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
I think we may have seen you on the shelter stone saturday we started auld nick about 5 ish.
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
We were walking back up beside Hell's Lum that time of the day. I think we finished our route at 3.20 or so then picked up bags, sunbathed a bit and walked back over. There was a couple of people on Auld Nick, must have been you! Lovely route, did the last year after a route on Shelterstone, much better then walking up the path!

CurlyStevo 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
yeah it was rather spoilt by a lot of water on the route. Every pitch had proper seepage and pitch one was a stream.
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Hmm, shame, it looked a lot drier than in the morning where it was absolutely soaking....there were a few damp patches on our route, too, but nothing to spoil the experience. I think it must have rained quite a bit Friday night.
 CurlyStevo 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
Hmmm didn't notice any rain friday night although it defo rained saturday night. (we left sunday morning and got there thurdays evening)
 CurlyStevo 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
I think hells lum is much slower to dry than shelter stone, infact I think some of hells lum never totally dries. Certainly there were perminant looking streams on the butress, but I've only seen it twice in summer and never after a long dry spell.
 andyinglis 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: Glad you guys got up the steeple quickly.... we were on the needle till 6pm.... oh my word were the guys ahead slow!!! Gutted we couldnt see the jumaring below!!! Some day though!

Andy
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to andyinglis: Were you the guys who climbed the Needle sort of parallel to us (the two without helmet..?). We were thinking of you sat there on the ledge below the Needle Crack - we could see you sitting there until we got to the top of the plateau again...
Brilliant day, as you said.
man_in_the_alps 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:

Dear Heike

Norrie Does not do training

Man
 JuliaH 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:

Hi Heike, it must have been you we met at the start of Magic Crack yesterday- really nice route eh? Although I wasn't pleased about my lack of balls when backing off the first pitch- although that sums up my leading this year so far!
But really enjoyed the climb as a whole. It had some nice moves on the top pitch!

How was Fingers Ridge?

cheers,

Julia
 Norrie Muir 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> Good point,
> was it you then, Norrie, getting your training in early?

Dear Heike

Colin McLean phoned me before he did the winter ascent of the Needle asking me if I wanted to do it with him. As I was skiing that winter and unfit for such a route I declined. Jumaring was not my style.

Norrie
 Norrie Muir 07 Aug 2006
In reply to man_in_the_alps:
> (In reply to Heike)
>
> Norrie Does not do training
>
Dear man

That is the first I've known about me not training.

Norrie
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to JuliaH:
Hi
I thought magic Crack was brilliant, too. Finger's Ridge Direct was nice as well - I would give it two stars. It turned into a nice evening!
We got a photo of you on the route, it's quite nice although you need to look rather closely to actually see you! Mail me if you want a copy

Heike
 andyinglis 07 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: Hi Heike, yeah that was us on the ledge..... 1.5hours I sat there! Just lucky it didnt rain, on the down side my mate broke his leg leading the next pitch! Poor guy walked out on it too! Some day!

How was magic crack julia? Went to do it friday, but 4 parties on it or queueing to get on it!!! Is it really that good?!?!

Andy
OP Heike 07 Aug 2006
In reply to andyinglis: Oh dear, Andy, that sounds awful. What happened to your mate, did he slip or was he so frozen after 1.5 hours wait? That sounds grim. Good on him (or mad) for walking out!

I thought Magic Crack was brill, but I have never seen anyone on it before (and I have walked through Sneachda lots and lots of times before) Must be because everyone is up for the hols in Scotland!

Send best wishes to your mate, hope he recovers soon.
 vscott 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: you planning to go back and do it in winter rianment now heike- superb fun!!
OP Heike 08 Aug 2006
In reply to vscott:

Do you mean the Magic Crack ? Yeah, I'd love to. Not a lot for your feet, though, got to train my arms then....
 vscott 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: those little ripples are surprisingly positive in crampons- though my feet did pop off quite a few times- think my calves took the biggest beating..... 1st time I treated an inch wide foothold as a resting place!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...