fortwilliam this week any advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
higgins 27 Dec 2005
heading up today until friday possibly saturday. reading avialable weather reports and snow conditions it apears there is none. does anyone have a bit of advice as to something to do? was thinking mabye some good rock routes up to Severe or evene if there is some easier gullies higher up that may be in condition and worth a visit.

anything would be helpful

cheers
 Jonny Tee 69 27 Dec 2005
In reply to higgins:

Ice Factor?

Carn Mor Dearg Arete? Ring of Steall? Anoach Eagach? Bidean nam Bian?

Haven't checked out the forecast but have heard it may warm up towards the weekend?

Think No.2 Gully is one of the more reliable easier gullies but don't know if any of the gullies on the ben are complete - all looks quite bare on the webcam.

What about the mixed stuff on Anoach Mor?

higgins 27 Dec 2005
In reply to Jonny Tee 69:
> (In reply to higgins)
>
>
> What about the mixed stuff on Anoach Mor?

i had given anoach mor a thought, where could i find a topo for a mixed routes?

Jonny Tee 69 27 Dec 2005
In reply to higgins:

I think Abacus Mountaineering had a topo on their website last year - might be worth checking it out. If it's not on there, maybe they would e-mail you a copy. Otherwise the SMC guidebook is probably your best bet.
higgins 27 Dec 2005
In reply to Jonny Tee 69: cheers
 Andy S 27 Dec 2005
In reply to higgins:
Poll Dubh (if that's how you spell it) for some rock-climbing? So long as yer ard and you can take the cold.
 Jonny Tee 69 27 Dec 2005
In reply to higgins:

Nevissport, West Coast Leisure & Ellis Brigham if the weather's really bad. Don't know if the Nevis Distillery does tours but that's another option.

Curved Ridge & Sron na Lairig are another couple of good scrambles.
Viva la Trance 27 Dec 2005
In reply to Jonny Tee 69:

Both Curved Ridge & Sron na Lairig are a bit more than scrambles under winter conditions.

Curved Ridge, thin ice on the ridge itself then chest deep snow in the avalanche prone upper Crowberry Tower section.

Sron na Lairig, long but easy walk in, if you can avoid the mud.
The climb can be as easy or as hard as you make it in the lower sections. The top can be a real bitch. Steep slope no real protection up to the short narrow ridge then a monstrous cornice (depending on the time of the season) with exposure snapping at your heels.

Yes
 Jonny Tee 69 27 Dec 2005
In reply to Viva la Trance:

Agreed. I wasn't really thinking of them under winter conditions.
 martin riddell 27 Dec 2005
In reply to higgins:
was up there today - nothing doing, aonoach more is a good long walk with climbing gear on your back. good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...