Where to ski next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LondonClimber 07 Dec 2023

I've managed to get some cheap flights to Turin and car hire for next week. Given the current snow conditions and lifts open, where would you choose to go for some adventures on ski? Not too bothered about piste skiing, keener on some backcountry and touring. Cheers

Post edited at 10:47
 minimike 07 Dec 2023
In reply to LondonClimber:

Kind of depends where your flight lands…

OP LondonClimber 07 Dec 2023
In reply to minimike:

Good point. Edit made.

Toerag 07 Dec 2023

Is there going to be enough snow depth to cover all the rocks and logs in the backcountry?

TheGeneralist 07 Dec 2023

I'd suggest cancelling the flights and rebooking to INn, muc or zrh. Then head to st Anton . Shedloadd of snow at present.

Gressoney looks pretty bare in comparison

Just back in from a cracking day powder skiing in the eastern Écrins, and it was the same yesterday. There is snow forecast tomorrow and Sat/Sun should be good. If your on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rob.benton.39982 you will see the photos from yesterday, not put todays up yet.

Now as some one said Austria and that end of the alps has had way more snow, so if going there is an option I would think about it. In general France has lots of snow high up, More that normal for this time of year and a very good level. But has been plagued by some warm wet rainy day with the freezing level being up around 2700m, so it's lacking a bit low down. We have been able to ski from the car but it can be shallow. 

Also it's worth noting that Monday is warm and wet, with rain up to around 2500M. I think the snow will survive ok but depend on what happens next it could be crap skiing? But you will vibe able to ski.

Doug 07 Dec 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

As Rob has said, there is skiing in the southern French Alps but there's not much at mid/low altitudes.  I skied back to home (1250m) yesterday but despite making use of some artificial snow in places, still hit a few rocks 

But despite that it  was good to be out  on skis again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...