The 50 new episode

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The latest episode of the 50 has landed, the Polar star. This time a 45min special that really showcase some amazing skiers and ski mountaineering.

If you haven’t seen the series then I highly recommend all of the episodes. its a great look at ski mountaineering and some the planning and prep etc that goes in to these

trips. youtube.com/watch?v=8QoR7pJFC2A&

Rory Shaw 16 Nov 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Not seen the latest one but have seen the rest.

Excellent series. Not like you usual American skiing movie

Wow, that was brilliant. Will go and check out the rest of the series.

In reply to Rory Shaw:

> Excellent series. Not like you usual American skiing movie

Totally agree, I can get bored of watching traditional ski movies of just running the same looking spines or back flip after back flip. Don't get me wrong it's very impressive. But this feels real to me with the right amount of skiing to chat and seeing the personalities. I hope more people start to make skin films like this. 

laughitup 16 Nov 2023

Would recommend Nikolai Schirmer's videos if you're into this and haven't already seen them!

In reply to laughitup:

> Would recommend Nikolai Schirmer's videos if you're into this and haven't already seen them!

Yeh I really enjoy Nikolai's videos, he is an amazing skier and always full on. It seams more linked to free ride than mountaineering but still cool. What I would find interesting is to see him skiing with Cody, more for see how the different personalities work together in the mountains. I am not sure they would get on.

Post edited at 15:40
 Yanchik 17 Nov 2023

Great recommendation thanks despite the contrived emotional arc (spoiler "I thought he was an egocentric French arse but he turned out to be a nice guy".) 

Vivian's ropework was a lesson. I mean, it had no "work" in it ! It was just fluent deployment of a bag of appropriate techniques, amazing to watch. I mean, OK, it was a good edit and I haven't been doing much myself or hanging around guides for a few years, but it was an eye-opener. 

Between that and the bombproof skiing, it really brought play back into the moutains. A huge step from sweating and hawking up something, hauling hawser and making sure my belay adds up to 21 and then flying over my tips if, for example, it was me making a death-defying assault on Lurcher's or something... inspiring in a good, relatable, "I could learn something here" way. 

Now for, presumably, the prior 44 vids...

Y

In reply to Yanchik:

Viv is very slick, he always comes over as caring and willing to show people how to do stuff. He runs some steep skiing course that I would love to go on.

I hope you enjoy the others. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...