Ski touring insurance suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 norrisdan71 29 Dec 2023

Hi, can anyone recommend insurance for ski touring/ winter camping in Norwegian mountains. I’m fed up of throwing money at dog tag!

thanks, ideas appreciated.

tcashmore 29 Dec 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

Try Snow Card - I've used them a lot including a claim with no hassle. Configurable on how much you want insure for your belongings etc. including amount of excess.

pec 29 Dec 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

I've used Snowcard for mountaineering related insurance for many years as have many on here. Regarding ski touring, check the cover levels carefully, they have names like "Adventure", "Max Adventure" etc with different levels required depending on how "adventurous" your activities will be.

Ski touring comes under one level whilst ski mountaineering needs the next level up (how do you know when one touring becomes mountaineering is a good question). Make sure you know which level applies to what you intend to do and contact them if unsure. You used to be able to ring them up and ask but now you have to go through some online chat feature.

Martin W 29 Dec 2023
In reply to pec:

> I've used Snowcard for mountaineering related insurance for many years as have many on here.

> Ski touring comes under one level whilst ski mountaineering needs the next level up (how do you know when one touring becomes mountaineering is a good question).

Such a good question that it's literally the first one in their FAQs!

Q. What is the difference between ski touring and ski mountaineering?

Off piste skiing is any skiing or snowboarding activity away from marked and controlled slopes. However, ski touring is a ski journey that includes the use of skins, sometimes ropes or crampons for safety but ascents of peaks that are walking ascents that do not include technical mountaineering in the climbing or alpinism style of ascent. Often the terms 'ski touring' and 'ski mountaineering' are used interchangeably but from the insurance perspective, we differentiate 'touring' from 'mountaineering' because technical alpine ascents that combine climbing with ski touring approaches present higher underwriting risks. The ski mountaineering option should therefore be used if you are engaged in alpinism, technical alpine ascents, in winter conditions where you are using traditional ski touring travel to approach your climbs.
Note: snowboarding and split boarding are included within these definitions if accessing back country areas outside of normal resort boundaries.

https://www.snowcard.co.uk/faq

It's not terribly well expressed but seems fairly clear if you wade through it.

I couldn't see a chat option on their web site.  I have found them reassuringly responsive to e-mail queries in the past, very often same day.

HeMa 29 Dec 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

DAV or ÖAV membership. I used to have ÖAV (section Salzburg from the lottery… but I recall there is also an UK branch). Naturally you’ll still need a normsl travel indurance for non ski-touring related stuff (like travel, luggage, etc.).

Tim Davies 30 Dec 2023
In reply to norrisdan71:

Careful with Austrian alpine club - insurance stops at the Arctic circle. Found this out going to Bodo this year 

HeMa 30 Dec 2023
In reply to Tim Davies:

Mainland Norway was covered by the policy last time I asked (as well, as artic Finland and Sweden). But indeed Greenland, Svalbard etc. were not (most likely due to the fact, that e.g. Rescue is still free in mainland NOR, SWE and FIN).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...